Honored Contributor

Re: Opinion: Dress up / Dress down

If your life is dress up/ dress down than,  yay, for you and your separate closets---I remember those days myself--but now I dress up, well kinda, for certain occassions  but mostly dress comfortably for the rest. But my clothes are always presentable no matter what.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Andreatoo@I didn’t know you had a son or that he is a lawyer.My son is a lawyer too but not practicing...he does purchasing contracts for a large company.There were no good law jobs when he was finished his education.My son is 32 ..how old is your son?

@dex

David just turned 35 in December. I did not give birth to him; I took him at the begging of my daughter 20 years ago after his parents lost custody and his grandfather kicked him out.

I implored him to reconsider when he told me he was going to law school! It took him forever to find work, and this was the kid who was accepted to EVERY law school he applied to, and when he did get hired it was by the guy all lawyer jokes were written for Woman Frustrated He's with a firm he likes now but it was a rough start..

Regular Contributor

The key word is "presentable" My mom always used that and I have too. If I am going to the supermarket or a MD appt for myself or my DH, I will wear good jeans and a nice top or sweater, almost all from QVC, or L.L Bean these days. At  home have grown fond of Cuddlduds and Anybody. I worked in corporate atmosphere, RE, Retail Sales, dental office and have always loved clothes, so has become instinctive as to what to wear, wherever. Early corporate days, all dresses or skirts. Times change. Also wear some makeup(tinted moisturizer, a little blush and eyeshadow) to go anywear. Just what you get used to and what you like.

My late mom had "office clothes" and a few "dressy" outfits back in the 1950's and 1960's(I still remember my favorite of hers. Shirtwaist stype with belt but top was black velvet, skirt was a tan/beige satin like fabric and matching belt and at the collar a pretty artificial rose) She looked gorgeous in it.

Yes, times have changes. Enjoy your clothes, whatever your wear.

And yes Kate looked fab!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:
I don't have any special occasion clothes that are formal. My work is business casual, we're allowed to wear jeans, so my wardrobe is casual but I do have things I can dress up or down so the selling tactic isn't silly for me!

@Cumbercookie13

Clothing that does double duty isn't silly. What's silly is that they apply it to pieces that are clearly lounge or athleisure with a straight face! Not everything can be worn everywehere; at least not to me.

Valued Contributor

My late mom had "office clothes" and a few "dressy" outfits back in the 1950's and 1960's(I still remember my favorite of hers. Shirtwaist stype with belt but top was black velvet, skirt was a tan/beige satin like fabric and matching belt and at the collar a pretty artificial rose) She looked gorgeous in it.

I loved the clothing then.  I remember my mother had a long evening dress and a cocktail dress around 1960.  The cocktail dress was deep blue; she looked beautiful and I still remember how she smelled of perfume and face powder.  She also kept the black lace dress she wore to the opening of the Sand's Hotel in Las Vegas.  Such beautiful clothes back then. 

Honored Contributor

I have dressy clothes, casual clothes, and wear only at home clothes. I can dress up a pair of jeans or casual pants with a certain top, cardigan, jacket, shoe, etc. Even though I am not working I still need clothes like dresses, skirts, and nicely tailored trousers for church and other events. I do not agree with the current fashion mantra that lounge wear can be dressed up.