Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Opinion: Dress up / Dress down

That's been a QVC sales tactic since Day One.  They try that angle with everything they sell so that you feel like you can get a real bang for your buck by buying that item.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@ALRATIBA

I remember well when you had separate wardrobes but times have changed and I can't think of a single place that has a dress code! Remember when restaurants used to keep sport jackets in case you didn't wear one?!

I guess my point is that it's a lot less practical than it used to be to have two wardrobes. Sure I still have occasional pieces but I don't have many occasions to wear them!

@Andreatoo

I see what your saying ... but I can't imagine "dressing up"  jogger pants  with a pair of Gili pumps and showing up at our women's club meeting.  

Maybe it's just a lifestyle thing .... I do get "dressed" to go out a minimum of twice a week.  

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA

And I understand your point. Most of the 'you can wear it anywhere' sales pitch is downright silly

It's definitely a generational thing. My boss who's turning 80 next month still dresses up for work every day even if he's not going to court. But when my son first graduated law school and got a job he was given grief cuz he wore a suit into the office the first day!

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@ALRATIBA

I remember well when you had separate wardrobes but times have changed and I can't think of a single place that has a dress code! Remember when restaurants used to keep sport jackets in case you didn't wear one?!

I guess my point is that it's a lot less practical than it used to be to have two wardrobes. Sure I still have occasional pieces but I don't have many occasions to wear them!

@Andreatoo

I remember when nice restaurants had jackets and also ties for men.  I was not allowed in a fancy restaurant in Santa Barbara because I had pants on - silk pants but that did not make any difference.  

Honored Contributor

I am retired so my wardrobe is jeans and pants and different tops.  Different lengths on pants.  Dress?  What is a dress?  LOL

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I have clothing that is clearly casual, and clothing that is clearly dressy.  But I do appreciate also having some pieces that are "dress up/dress down".  It can make life a lot easier especially when traveling.

I have several things that are suitable for all kinds of occasions depending how I accessorize, etc..  They don't take the place of the casual or dressy things in my closet - They're just an addition to my wardrobe.  And I think that's what they're meant to be.

Honored Contributor

Denim is my wardrobe staple and I like that I can dress it up or down depending on where I am going!!  

Respected Contributor

I don't have any special occasion clothes that are formal. My work is business casual, we're allowed to wear jeans, so my wardrobe is casual but I do have things I can dress up or down so the selling tactic isn't silly for me!
Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo@I didn’t know you had a son or that he is a lawyer.My son is a lawyer too but not practicing...he does purchasing contracts for a large company.There were no good law jobs when he was finished his education.My son is 32 ..how old is your son?

Honored Contributor

I can wear anything anywhere - I dress it up with different accessories, shoes, jewlery or handbags.

I do have specific clothes I just wear at home for lounging that I do not wear out.