Honored Contributor

Opinion: Dress up / Dress down

Personally, I don't want clothes that can be worn "anywhere."   That can be "dress up / dress down."

I keep separate closets for "home clothes" and "out" clothes and "out" clothes have several sub-categories. 

And "never the twain shall meet."

Honored Contributor

Re: Opinion: Dress up / Dress down

Personally.....

919049563_o.jpg

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay, but most women want more versatility in their wardrobes, not needing many "dressy" clothes.  Informal, casual lifestyles.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Personally, I don't want clothes that can be worn "anywhere."   That can be "dress up / dress down."

I keep separate closets for "home clothes" and "out" clothes and "out" clothes have several sub-categories. 

And "never the twain shall meet."

Yes, just put a pair of heels with your sweats and you are dressed up , LOL 😏

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA

I’d find that to be very limiting. 

Esteemed Contributor

Went through my closet again this morning -- minimalizing and trying to go 3 and 4 seasons with my wardrobe, which includes skillfully using layers. I read where we consistently wear 20% of our wardrobe - our favorites. I've been paying attention. I believe it.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

On a cost per wearing basis, the most expensive clothes I've ever paid for have been those I bought for a special occasion -  most of which I wore once!  By the time another occasion rolled around, the season was different, my shape was different, etc.  For whatever reason, I persuaded myself to buy new again.

Now, although I have my limits in both directions, almost everything I buy I want to be versatile. Frequently I find that when I'm disagreeing with a host or vendor who is saying dress it up or dress it down, I probably don't want the item for either purpose, but when that process does work - it's a great use of my wardrobe dollars.

Honored Contributor

Your money, your wardrobe.  You get to do it your way.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA

I remember well when you had separate wardrobes but times have changed and I can't think of a single place that has a dress code! Remember when restaurants used to keep sport jackets in case you didn't wear one?!

I guess my point is that it's a lot less practical than it used to be to have two wardrobes. Sure I still have occasional pieces but I don't have many occasions to wear them!

Trusted Contributor

Dressing something up or down does not really entail loungewear or wear around the house clothing.  It is about versatility, especially for a more expensively item.  I love a dressy, silk cami that I can wear with jeans under a cardigan, under a suit jacket for work or with a tuxedo for after 5.