Trusted Contributor
They are a fashion statement, which can be worn (depending upon where you live) in the early fall, and spring, on dry days, and when there is no snow on the ground.  No, I don't have them, I prefer a closed toe boot.  When I was a teenager, I thought ripped jeans were "cool."   I dropped that look by my early twenties.  
Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

OK, I'm old.  Help me understand this trend.  If you wear boots in the fall and winter to keep your feet warm, then why wear boots with open toes?   Why have your naked toes hanging out when it's chilly?  This doesn't make sense to me.

My next question will be:  Why buy jeans with rips in them?  Stay tuned.

Please be kind, ladies.

Obviously, they are about fashion not keeping your feet warm. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

With kindness I reply...What is there to even understand? If you like them and your climate permits,wear them. If not,don't. Same for distressed jeans...if they are your style,wear them. I live in the south and have no real need for heavy parkas,snow boots (except the rare occasion),and other items. I'm not gonna ask the people who  need/want these to help me understand why they buy them.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Open-toed boots

[ Edited ]

It took me awhile to join in with this look but I have a few pairs now. Why? It's not THAT cold most of the time during the winter to need fully enclosed boots. In fact, the only time I wear or see them (fully enclosed) is when we have rain, snow or snow and ice on the ground. Often, it's in the mid-50's during the winter months and instead of wearing a heeled sandal with jeans/slacks, etc, you wear these as only the toe is open (not sure about the heel; I only have the toe exposed). It's not cold, it's not anything but comfortable.

I know MANY women who wear Birkenstock sandals year round. I know many men who don't wear socks year round (once a Preppie, always a Preppie). They don't die because of it, lol. When it's snowing, then out come the traditional boots.

Trusted Contributor

I'm old too, so my opinion isn't worth very much.  But, I can see the possibilities for wearing a boot-type shoe (there is a cute one posted above) with an open toe during certain times of the year during dry days.  With tights on really cool days.  I can stretch my aged brain to understand that.

The ripped jeans look, though, I can't understand.  And the fact they are often so, so expensive.  To me, as an adult, it's beyond ridiculous.  I believe in wearing what gives you pleasure, so if someone likes them, wear them.  But I could never purchase or wear a pair of these ludicrous things.  I have distressed jeans that have become distressed from long time wear, and I use them for gardening and really dirty work.

Honored Contributor

Re: Open-toed boots

[ Edited ]

@tototwo wrote:

OK, I'm old.  Help me understand this trend.  If you wear boots in the fall and winter to keep your feet warm, then why wear boots with open toes?   Why have your naked toes hanging out when it's chilly?  This doesn't make sense to me.

Please be kind, ladies.

@tototwo  Why not?  They look cool.  Why would you need to understand a fashion trend?  It's about how it looks. 

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Like these? I think these are cute but not practical for me in the Colorado cold weather. I prefer complete coverage, indoors and outside. Woman Happy

born-blane-leather-peep-toe-shootie-d-20170825122702627-565633_alt1.jpg

SilleeMee....those are the Born shootie/booties I saw at The Rack a few weeks ago. They are stunning in person. Sadly, they didn't have my size or I would have scooped them up...but only to wear in Spring, Summer and a little into Fall.

Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Please be kind, ladies.

@tototwo  Couldn't agree w/you more!!

Valued Contributor

@tototwo

I agree,  they would be practical for a short period of time.... but,  they are cute!  I'm 64 and I want them Smiley Happy.  However,  I don't think I would like the "feel" of air hitting my legs through multiple pant holes.  I'm not into ripped jeans. 

Love your quote!  Margaret has a "kick starter" to launch her new (on-line) series.  Have you checked her web-site (Body Electric)?  I am a faithful follower and can't wait for her to come back. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

Most fashion makes no sense!  Some guy comes up with an idea ... promotes it and people either go fo it or not.  

I wouldn't wear them.  I'm not a fan of open toe anything.