Honored Contributor

Re: Open Front Jackets and Cardigans

[ Edited ]

Even though I rarely close a cardigan, hoodie, blazer, or light jacket I don't think I would buy one without closures. I think closures make the garment look more finished. I do button up my printed cardigans and wear them as stand alone tops. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

It seems the majority of jackets and cardigans lack closures and I can't think why that is. They appear unfinished to me, like a home effort by someone who hasn't learned to make button holes. I want the option of buttoning my jacket, especially in breezy weather.

@occasionalrain 

It is just a different style. I’ve got cardigans with buttons and without. I like both but they are different styles. It is more than just skipping the buttons. These are all fashion pieces. I don’t want all my cardigans to look the same. Anything meant to keep us warm will have buttons of zippers or some other closure. 

I live in a warm climate and rarely need anything for warmth. I e got a zip front hoodie but it has only been cool enough to wear it one day so far this winter and I never considered zipping it.

Honored Contributor

I had always hated open front cardigans, jackets, etc.  I wouldn't buy them.  Now, I don't know what changed but I cannot get enough of them.  They are so nice to throw on as that third piece to give a finished look to an outfit but I'm not contricted in my clothes.    

Honored Contributor

Coco Chanel started the clean front  jacket. I think they can look very nice . I don't have any ,but I might  get something in beige for spring and summer

We get a lot of cold weather ,and  I like to be able to button things for comfort. I do think that the open front is a  nice look though. I like clean lines, and uncluttered clothing

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I said I like options there are some pieces that just wont work with them!

Case in point:

744-865_00_swatch.jpeg.jpg

I think a closure would ruin this piece! 744-865 at ShopHQ

Maybe because it's more vest like than cardigan?

Honored Contributor

I find open jackets and cardigans pleasing for workwear.  If I am going out on a rather cool morning, I want the warmth of a jacket (and perhaps a coat) but when I am in the office, I want neither the cumbersome coat nor the warmth of a buttoned-up jacket.  I know some jackets can be worn unbuttoned but some just don't look as good buttoned as they do open.  It is a choice for me but I think both have a place in my wardrobe.  Just no longer a double-breasted jacket.  However, I have a double-breasted overcoat that I love.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Pecky wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@occasionalrain.  Why?  Look at the money they save on buttons or other closure and labor-intensive buttonhole.  I agree that a garment looks unfinished without some sort of closure and for practical reasons, I want the option of closing my jacket.  Absolutely ridiculous is making a coat, which is worn for warmth, with no closure.  Only an idiot would buy such a garment.

@Kachina624  Well that's pretty mean to say.  

@Pecky.  I'd say it was pretty accurate.  Who in their right mind buys a a coat for warmth that doesn't close?

Uhhh someone who doesn't need the coat to close because maybe it's not that cold where they intend to wear it?

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I had always hated open front cardigans, jackets, etc.  I wouldn't buy them.  Now, I don't know what changed but I cannot get enough of them.  They are so nice to throw on as that third piece to give a finished look to an outfit but I'm not contricted in my clothes.    

Exactly. I use them as layering pieces. I don't want or need buttons or closures. I very rarely close my cardigans.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Pecky wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@occasionalrain.  Why?  Look at the money they save on buttons or other closure and labor-intensive buttonhole.  I agree that a garment looks unfinished without some sort of closure and for practical reasons, I want the option of closing my jacket.  Absolutely ridiculous is making a coat, which is worn for warmth, with no closure.  Only an idiot would buy such a garment.

@Kachina624  Well that's pretty mean to say.  

@Pecky.  I'd say it was pretty accurate.  Who in their right mind buys a a coat for warmth that doesn't close?

Uhhh someone who doesn't need the coat to close because maybe it's not that cold where they intend to wear it?

Exactly @JJsMom .

I live in a warm climate where a light coat is all that is needed for the chilly days.

I seldom close them.

I think some here forget that this is a huge country with many climates.  It may be snowing where you are, while I am enjoying short sleeves and shorts.

Respected Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

Exactly @JJsMom .

I live in a warm climate where a light coat is all that is needed for the chilly days.

I seldom close them.

I think some here forget that this is a huge country with many climates.  It may be snowing where you are, while I am enjoying short sleeves and shorts.

I have a faux fur coat that has a hidden button closure that I never intend to use. Although it's really cold where I live, I only intend to wear it indoors. It's more for fashion than braving the harsh winters.