Honored Contributor

Re: Open Front Jackets and Cardigans

@Nonametoday 

Yes, it's amazing what buttons used to be. When I worked as a seamstress, I had access to a specialty sewing notions company. Their buttons were quality works of art. Some were made of real mother-of-pearl, genuine woven leather and others made of bone or antlers. They had real silk frog closures. The company was located in Germany and no longer exists...so sad.

Honored Contributor

Cheaper to make.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

i prefer open front jackets and cardigans.

even when my jackets/cardigans/toppers have buttons or fasteners, i rarely use those features. it makes more sense to me for my fashion style to find things that dont have buttons or zippers or snaps.

yes, i am one of those "idiots" that even in cold weater i prefer an open coat with a long scarf cascading down the front if needed. i feel much less constricted in that type of coat, especially when i am driving. its called having a preference and what feels and looks good to me and on me.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I just donated about 5 sweaters due to them having no closures----got tired of always havng to fuss with them as they hang at the sides of my body---my chest got cold---I perfer zips, snaps and buttons---

Honored Contributor

I appreciate beautiful buttons. I inherited both my mother's and grandmother's button boxes. On rainy days, when I was a child I would go through those boxes matching buttons and string them together. Sometimes I change the buttons on coats and jackets that would otherwise be plain and ordinary.

Honored Contributor

For some reason this discussion reminds me of the time I purchased a cardigan from Chicos (for fashion not warmth) to be mailed to my mother's home in Fl.  It was a very sheer lightweight cardigan to make a nice outfit. 

At the time my mom was in rehab and I was going down there to pick her up and bring her back to her home.  By then she was well enough to go see a show at her clubhouse and maybe go out to dinner....the reason I wanted to have a nice looking outfit.

Anyway her friend & neighbor was picking up her mail while she was in rehab and in true Mrs. Kravitz form she had to know what was in my package.  When I told her it was a cardigan for me she said that she could have lent me one of hers...too funny!  The woman at the time weighed about 80 lbs and had no clue why I ordered this.  It really wasn't her business why or how I wear clothes but the memory of it was sparked by this thread which gave me a chukle.

BTW, I like both kinds of cardigans...those that stay open and those that close.  It just depends on how I'm wearing it.

Respected Contributor

I think no buttons and buttonholes is a time/cost savings.  Seems manufacturers will do anything to save a penny. 

Honored Contributor

Most of this stuff is marketed as warm and cozy.  Well, if you can't close it, it isn't.  I have only one robe left without proper closures of some sort, the rest was donated years ago.  

Respected Contributor

I abhor open jackets in my climate.  Belted crisscross tops are fine.

Respected Contributor

I wear both. I especially like buttons on winter cardigans . If I have the same color slacks and sweater I feel one button buttoned makes a nicer line on my short body. In the summer I am fine with an opened jacket or whatever as I usually just wear a topper/duster /whatever over a tank or shell to cover my senior 'batwings' but be cooler.

Got to agree with poster saying they seem strange on winter coats . Where I live one could freeze trying to keep the wind from opening your coat. You would need a belt or at least a large snap .