Honored Contributor

Re: Open Front Jackets and Cardigans

[ Edited ]

@Pecky wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@occasionalrain.  Why?  Look at the money they save on buttons or other closure and labor-intensive buttonhole.  I agree that a garment looks unfinished without some sort of closure and for practical reasons, I want the option of closing my jacket.  Absolutely ridiculous is making a coat, which is worn for warmth, with no closure.  Only an idiot would buy such a garment.

@Kachina624  Well that's pretty mean to say.  

@Pecky.  I'd say it was pretty accurate.  Who in their right mind buys a a coat for warmth that doesn't close?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

It seems the majority of jackets and cardigans lack closures and I can't think why that is. They appear unfinished to me, like a home effort by someone who hasn't learned to make button holes. I want the option of buttoning my jacket, especially in breezy weather.

IMO, it does look unfinished and I would prefer the option of buttons - even snaps.

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @occasionalrain ,  I like having the option too.  Have both types of garments. 

I never button all the way, but do like occasionally to fasten a jacket or cardigan at the waist, just to give some definition. A straight up and down look is not that flattering to me.  Suddenly, by strategically buttoning just one or two buttons, a "relaxed fit" can show that you have a waist!

Alternatively, I sometimes fasten the top one or two buttons of a collarless jacket, with the rest open.  It gives a nice "base" to display a chain or necklace.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain   Yes, I just noted the same on the 'Issac' forum here too.

I prefer closures with the option to use or not. I don't really like my long sweater like these to be flapping open in the breeze/wind.

I have a lot of d&co long cardis w/sherpa hood and most times through the winter I wear mine with a scarf as my coat so for me I have to be able to button it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You're talking about two different things.  When we have a garment that is for protection from the cold, those usually DO have closures.  The garment she originally posted about was the TSV which is a very lightweight piece meant to be worn over another shirt but it is certainly not meant to be a shield from winter weather. 

Honored Contributor

Depending on the design of an open-front cardigan or jacket, sometimes closures can be put on them by yourself or take it to a tailor and have them do it. When I was in the alterations business, I did that for some of my customers and sometimes it was just the reverse of that...removing closures to make it an open-front style.

Honored Contributor

While I generally prefer the option of a closure it really depends on the style of the topper

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer open.  I never button a cardigan or denim jacket.

Esteemed Contributor

I buy a sweater or jacket for warmth, so I want it to button or zip up the front or I don't buy it.  Glad we all have different choices.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

If you sew then you know what buttons, thread and zippers cost. Add the cost of labor to attach those sewing notions and it only adds to the price of the finished garment. Eliminate sewing notions and that saves time, too, which means it can get to the customer much faster. Buttons and zippers, when sewn on a garment, need to be inspected for quality...that is another added cost.

@SilleeMee 

The only place I can find quality buttons any longer is in the tankard that my housekeeper saved my buttons or on Etsy. 

I would be getting clothes ready to give and she would tell me she was cutting the buttons to save, that the recipient was getting good clothes and the least they could do is put buttons on them.  I never understood that until recently when good buttons became a rare novelty on clothing.  LOL. 

I never thought they would begin to disappear.  My mother and grandmother were seamstresses and they saved buttons and had tins full of them. I never understood that either.  May God bless them all and may they rest in peace, the button ladies.  My housekeeper saved a Stein beer tankard full for me in a few short years.