Honored Contributor

Open Front Jackets and Cardigans

It seems the majority of jackets and cardigans lack closures and I can't think why that is. They appear unfinished to me, like a home effort by someone who hasn't learned to make button holes. I want the option of buttoning my jacket, especially in breezy weather.

Respected Contributor

Re: Open Front Jackets and Cardigans

[ Edited ]

I'm the opposite. I almost never button a cardigan or zip a hoodie. But I also live in a place where it's already been in the 70s most of January and we hit 81 earlier this week. An open cardigan is great when the temperature ranges 30 degrees from the time I leave work to the time I leave the office.

My cardigans and hoodies are more often worn indoors than out because it's often so cold in my office.

Respected Contributor

I prefer open.  Even if it has buttons, I leave things open most of the time.  It's a "third piece" and not treated the same way as the main blouse/top/shirt.  I like the look, although I prefer shorter cardigans and jackets.  Today's TSV is too long for me.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

It seems the majority of jackets and cardigans lack closures and I can't think why that is. They appear unfinished to me, like a home effort by someone who hasn't learned to make button holes. I want the option of buttoning my jacket, especially in breezy weather.

@occasionalrain 

Fewer returns RE fit on the bust.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono   insightful comment....also probably less expensive to make.

@lolakimono wrote:

@occasionalrain 

Fewer returns RE fit on the bust.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain.  Why?  Look at the money they save on buttons or other closure and labor-intensive buttonhole.  I agree that a garment looks unfinished without some sort of closure and for practical reasons, I want the option of closing my jacket.  Absolutely ridiculous is making a coat, which is worn for warmth, with no closure.  Only an idiot would buy such a garment.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

For me - it all depends on styles and fabrics, and particular clothing item.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@occasionalrain.  Why?  Look at the money they save on buttons or other closure and labor-intensive buttonhole.  I agree that a garment looks unfinished without some sort of closure and for practical reasons, I want the option of closing my jacket.  Absolutely ridiculous is making a coat, which is worn for warmth, with no closure.  Only an idiot would buy such a garment.

@Kachina624  Well that's pretty mean to say.  

Honored Contributor

It's got to be really cold for me to button or zip up a sweater or a coat. I prefer the open front cardigan, but I do own a few classic button up cardigans.

Honored Contributor

If you sew then you know what buttons, thread and zippers cost. Add the cost of labor to attach those sewing notions and it only adds to the price of the finished garment. Eliminate sewing notions and that saves time, too, which means it can get to the customer much faster. Buttons and zippers, when sewn on a garment, need to be inspected for quality...that is another added cost.