Trusted Contributor

Online purchase returns in landfill

'It's pretty staggering': Returned online purchases often sent to landfill, journalist's research reveals

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-dec-12-2019-1.5393783/it-s-pretty-staggering-ret...

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Online purchase returns in landfill

Wow!! I would never have guessed that. Instead of tossing the returns they should just donate it to charity.

As far as the consumer thinking twice before returning merchandise I disagree.By returning unwanted gifts I get a refund.I'm not willing to forgo all that money because businesses don't want to take the time to sort through their returns.

Honored Contributor

Most donated clothing goes into landfills, too. Charity places are just too overwhelmed with people dumping their stuff on them.  One of our local DAV stores had to close because it became a dump for people to unload unwanted things, especially clothes.

Honored Contributor

I have a problem with this all the way around - not really sure I believe this despite what the research reads.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

I have a problem with this all the way around - not really sure I believe this despite what the research reads.

@PINKdogWOOD 

A couple years ago when there was a big tornado that hit an area which I will not name, our church was having a drive for needed items.  Some of the ladies in the area needed the size clothing I was the season or so before. 

I had a walk-in closet of new or fairly new or worn once, which I gave to one of our most trusted deacons.  Our church is one of the older churches in town and we have a large membership, so there was lots of stuff donated not to mention from throughout the country goods were piling in. 

The deacon came to see me a week later and thanked me for all the canned goods and clothing but stated "I hate to tell you but they had so many clothes, they did not want these, but my wife fell in love with several blazers and some pants and skirts in  there and we would like to buy them from you." 

I told him to take them because otherwise they would go to some clothing dump where benefactors would not wear them or appreciate them and send them to the Goodwill who is doing a lot of the dumping.  

This couple has been so nice to help me througha family health crisis when my children or my healthcare workers were unable to help by driving me to appointments when I had a knee injury or taking me to PT.  It is more blessed to give than to dump or charge for unneeded items.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Wow!! I would never have guessed that. Instead of tossing the returns they should just donate it to charity.

As far as the consumer thinking twice before returning merchandise I disagree.By returning unwanted gifts I get a refund.I'm not willing to forgo all that money because businesses don't want to take the time to sort through their returns.

@NicksmomESQ   I agree!  As a consumer, there is no way I'm going to give away the things that I've purchased!  Why should I be out of money?!...yet it's okay for companies to "save" money by dumping items in a landfill?  Yes I buy things sometimes in more than one size to get a good fit....maybe if there was a standard in women's sizes there wouldn't be as many returns!

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday   Your last sentence says it all for sure which is what I do when I purge anything from my home.

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

There are folks who dumpster dive every day and sell the items at garage sales and flee markets. 

There are many YouTubers who use a channel to support their online business. 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

There are folks who dumpster dive every day and sell the items at garage sales and flee markets. 

There are many YouTubers who use a channel to support their online business. 

"One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Respected Contributor

I volunteer at a charity that receives a lot of used clothes. You would not believe the condition of some of it. Dirty, animal hair, ripped, drastically out of style (20 plus years old).