Honored Contributor

Re: Online purchase returns in landfill

Yes, there have been many, many stories about this.  They don't have a choice, they can't re-sell those returns.  They can't donate them to charities because that costs money; they would have to hire people to sort, categorize, inspect, find a charity that wants that stuff and then deliver it to those charities.  That would cost them a fortune and where would they store it all while all that is going on?  The only way out of it is for people to stop purchasing so much stuff.   

Honored Contributor

Our  two St. Vincent's will only take clean wearable clothing.  Same goes for household items.  They will refuse items at the door, like artificial Chistmas trees and electric items.  After awhile you get the hang of what they need.  Clothing is much needed in the lower income area in which I live. I've heard of a Goodwill in another town that will take electric items like DVD players and refurbish them for sale.  I'll be sure to check that out before another item goes into the landfill from our house.   

Trusted Contributor

I read an article about this just yesterday while getting my white roots dyed (I passed gray loooong ago!) at the beauty salon.  The article stated that a number of people "dumpster dive" to get things to re-sell on Amazon, and how much new stuff is tossed by major companies, making this informal secondary market possible.

It's a shame, really; so much want, yet so much waste.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting.  That was a real eyeopener!

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  @scatcat  The Salvation Army gets so much clothing in the Spring and Fall they have to refuse to take anything. One employee yelled at people about not taking  donations. I had one paper  bag of non clothing.

I have friends who volunteer  at the Humane Society Thrift Shop. They told me they have had people say, I thought you could wash these?"  They will take everything graciously. They sell some stuff for rags. The Humane Society has a great shoe collection in summer. I don't know who buys them. It is a fundraiser and shoes and boots that are decent go to the Thrift Shop.