Esteemed Contributor

One thing led to another...

[ Edited ]

I went to Chicos the other day and bought this no-iron popover white blouse on sale...do I need another white blouse?  Of course not, but I justified it "A woman can't have too many white blouses!"  I think it's a really flattering fit on me (she bragged)...

20201106_145342.jpg

As I was checking out, I spied a rack of "go backs" and saw this greige/black beaded poncho.  I've been looking for one that would take me through the transitional seasons.  I hesitated cuz I'm sick, bored, and disgusted with trying to find one that I like...I'm picky.  Do you have any idea how many ponchos I've tried in the past few weeks!?  I'd be embarrassed to tell you hahaha. 

So in my best defeatist voice, I said "why even bother trying it on?  I'm half-way thru the check out process for pete's sake!"  But who was I kidding?  So, I tried it on and, wouldn't you know it, I loved it. 

I like that it has sleeves and is more slimming than a ruana (blanket thrown over your shoulders for all intents and purposes).  Black G jeggings and black Eileen Fisher cotton gauze button front blouse...

20201106_150609.jpg

20201106_224958.jpg

Perfect for warmer transitional weather...change to my black cashmere turtleneck for cooler transitional weather = no brainer.  The front panels are wider than the dreaded open front cardigan which means minimal fussing with panels flapping around and falling to the side.

When I returned home, this blouse was on my porch.  I've been looking for a denim blouse for ages.  I don't even like denim blouses!  But felt I needed one to wear under sweaters and jackets. 

I came across this NYDJ (sale, Nordy dotcom) and thought "why not...it's denim friendly if nothing else."  I loved the color (azure sky), but didn't love the blouse...I can't pop the colla and the fit isn't great.  

20201106_142915.jpg

I was about to package it up for return when I remembered that I didn't need it to wear as a blouse, but as an underpinning for sweaters and jackets...hmmmmm what about ponchos?...

20201106_143907.jpg

This is the way the poncho is styled on Chico's website (with denim blouse).  The blouse also goes with my Tory Burch tie-dye sweatshirt.

20201108_120705_2.jpg

Ever since my Epic Year-Long Closet Purge, the curating part of the process gets easier and easier.  IOW, because items in my closet are now more curated (as opposed to a mash-up! hahaha), it's easier to find and choose pieces that go with or blend into my whole wardrobe.  One new piece leads to another old piece that leads to another piece.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

Re: One thing led to another...

@MacDUFF 

Question: what makes a shirt a popover?

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo   My understanding has always been a shirt with a few buttons and a placket that comes about a third of the way down so you have to "pop it over" your head to get it on.  My friend, Jean, is from the U.K. and claims the Brits coined the term, but IDK.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF 

Thanks! That sounds right to me but you never know because these days it seems these terms have different meanings depending on who you ask 

BTW there's no such thing as too many white blouses 😉

Esteemed Contributor

@MacDUFF : a good shopping week.

The poncho looks like a topper in the pics. I like the white popover blouse.

I ask that you think about returning the denim shirt. Not your best look and probably too bulky under sweaters. I find that I do not reach for mine too often, either, although I may live in a colder climate than you. Check out the bulk of the sleeves layered under your poncho.

Thanks for sharing your looks.

Esteemed Contributor

First and foremost, thank you for being so brave to show us photos of yourself in your new outfits!   I enjoy seeing all your lovely bargains.

Second, you can't have too many white shirts!   I love your crisp popover, btw, and I really love that denim shirt too.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@MacDUFF 

That poncho is fabulous and looks great on you! I bet you have a variety of tops you could wear under it. I may have to check it out at Chico's. 😊

Valued Contributor

@MacDUFF 

All of your outfits look wonderfully chic to me!  Thank you for sharing ... you're an inspiration.

Honored Contributor

Please do not purge any of these outfits, they look fabulous!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF 

Nice buys! Looking good! 

I agree with you that the denim shirt looks better with something layered over it.