Honored Contributor

I've been watching several bloggers whom are stylists and have clients just to see what the chatter is.  They keep pushing "trainers" (tennis shoes) with dresses and skirts.  I love the look of a traditional heel and also like tights and boots with some dresses and skirts.  

I guess trainers started with the business women in NYC wearing good athletic shoes because all the walking was causing foot problems and ruining good shoes (so they had backpacks!!!).

Do you like "trainers" with anything?  I prefer unity between the outfit and the shoe so there is a visual flow.

Respected Contributor

Re: One Foot In, One Foot.....

I don't even like tennis shoes at all (like jeans, I'm probably one of the very few who like neither).  But when I worked in the city and had a lot of walking from the bus or train or running around at lunch, I would have worn them if that had been done at the time (years ago).  I can understand NYC, LA, etc. wearing them with their work clothes to get to and from work but as soon as I arrived off they would go and appropriate to my outfit of the day would go on.

Honored Contributor

I think the right sneaker looks great with summer dresses and skirts.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

Love my blue Converse Chuck Taylors but with skinny or boot cut jeans. 

Respected Contributor

Well 1st, I don’t wear dresses. Lol! I’m not a sneaker person either, although I do have a couple pairs of Chuck Taylors for when I can’t wear my heels. In saying that, if I did wear dresses I would not wear sneakers with them. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

I've been watching several bloggers whom are stylists and have clients just to see what the chatter is.  They keep pushing "trainers" (tennis shoes) with dresses and skirts.  I love the look of a traditional heel and also like tights and boots with some dresses and skirts.  

I guess trainers started with the business women in NYC wearing good athletic shoes because all the walking was causing foot problems and ruining good shoes (so they had backpacks!!!).

Do you like "trainers" with anything?  I prefer unity between the outfit and the shoe so there is a visual flow.

During the NYC transit strike in April 1980, women started wearing sneakers/tennis shoes to work and changing into dressier shoes at work. 

More recently, the dressier shoes have been ditched, altogether. 

This look has been prevalent in NYC for a couple of years. 

I get used to current looks and they start to look normal (for lack of a better word) and aesthetically pleasing to me fairly quickly.  After awhile, the former way of wearing clothes looks very dated to me and dates the wearer.  While I don't aspire to look trendy or young, I like being current and not stuck in the past. 

I think clothes should be fun (and functional).

Honored Contributor

@ECBG

I like trainers when I’m training. Or painting a house. They don’t really make a fashion statement. I’m fine with other people wearing them. 

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

I don't even like tennis shoes at all (like jeans, I'm probably one of the very few who like neither).  But when I worked in the city and had a lot of walking from the bus or train or running around at lunch, I would have worn them if that had been done at the time (years ago).  I can understand NYC, LA, etc. wearing them with their work clothes to get to and from work but as soon as I arrived off they would go and appropriate to my outfit of the day would go on.

@KathyM23 Exactly!  I think this fad began out of the need of business women!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@KathyM23 wrote:

@KathyM23 Exactly!  I think this fad began out of the need of business women!

I don't know that this is a fad. It appears more to be a trend. Time will tell. 

giphy-3.gif

Honored Contributor

When I was working (both in SF and in NYC) .... commuting on public transit and walking blocks to BART and subways ... we wore "sneakers" and changed into "real shoes" at the office.  NOBODY walked around the office in sneakers!  (This entire business of doing "steps" on the lunch hour is a laugh.  Nobody I worked  with did that and I don't know anyone who does it now.)

We all had one deep desk drawer dedicated to our shoes.  When I was about to retire, I spent the last week bringing home a couple of pairs of shoes each night!

-------------------------------------

I don't like those "industrial strength" sneakers with the clunky soles and would never wear them anywhere!  

I have some sneakers that look like ordinary tie shoes ... but in canvas or colored leather.  BUT .... I wouldn't wear any of them with a dress or skirt unless I had "real" shoes in my tote to change into when I reached my destination.