Honored Contributor

Olivia Newton-John's Iconic Pants

From the movie Grease. Sara Blakely, founder of Spanx, just purchased them at auction. Who can ever forget that outfit? I always thought they were leather, this article says satin.

Spanx-Founder-Buys-Olivia-Newton-John-Grease-Pants-Promo.jpg

CBS News

Last Updated Nov 5, 2019 9:52 AM EST

Spanx founder Sara Blakely was revealed on "CBS This Morning" as the buyer of Olivia Newton-John's famed black satin pants from "Grease." The pants, which sold for more than $162,000 at Julien's Auctions in California, will go on display at the Spanx headquarters in Atlanta, Blakely said.

"I have been the biggest fan of Olivia since I was a little girl, since 'Grease' came out, and my friend called me two days before the auction. I didn't know it was happening … and I thought, 'Oh my God. I've got to try to get these,'" Blakely said on "CBS This Morning." 

The skin-tight black pants became an instant icon when Newton-John wore them during the song, "You're the One That I Want."

"I'm going to frame them and hang them at Spanx because we have black faux leather leggings … they have become a cult following and they're inspired off of Olivia's pants so you know she's the 'OG' of black leggings. I had to own them as the Spanx founder," Blakely said.   

Newton-John, who sang at Blakely's wedding, said she was "delighted" to hear she had bought the pants. "I couldn't think of anybody better to have them because they're the original Spanx," she said.  

Blakely also bought a custom "Pink Ladies" jacket presented to Newton-John by the movie's cast and crew. Some of the auction's proceeds will go to the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Wellness & Research Centre in Australia.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Re: Olivia Newton-John's Iconic Pants

Spanx-Founder-Buys-Olivia-Newton-John-Grease-Pants-Inline-2 (1).jpg

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Interesting. I never knew that ON-J’s leather-look leggings were the original inspiration for black Spanx. I can’t imagine anyone today wearing them with a belt, and a top tucked in, though. Lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

How awesome that Olivia Newton-John sang at Sara's wedding!  Talk about dreams coming true!

Honored Contributor

Did you ever notice how thin actors are?  I mean, when we were kids it was called skinny.  However, they all look better on film.  Olivia looks good in the pants but I never saw this movie.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Did you ever notice how thin actors are?  I mean, when we were kids it was called skinny.  However, they all look better on film.  Olivia looks good in the pants but I never saw this movie.

@Katcat1 . If you like musicals, you must see this movie. It is a classic!

Esteemed Contributor

She said she is going to frame them and hang them up at Spanx.  A nice "investment" and a write off!

I didn't care for the movie or ONJ's music, however, DH and DD loved watching it whenever it came on.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

Interesting. I never knew that ON-J’s leather-look leggings were the original inspiration for black Spanx. I can’t imagine anyone today wearing them with a belt, and a top tucked in, though. Lol.

I didn't know that either.  Seems like I remember her coming on QVC and showing a pair of white pants that she owned as the inspiration behind the brand.  I also thought they were leather.  

Anyway, I'm glad they've found a good home and it seems the money went to a good cause.