Trusted Contributor

Re: Okay, so why do we really watch fashion shows we don't like?

@magicmoodz wrote:

@dosey

Oh my gosh, dosey, I am so sorry about the accident occurring at all let alone right after your son got his driver's license--especially given your family history of tragedy.  I can understand how incredibly scared and vulnerable he must feel.  You are such a good mom exploring avenues to help him through his fear.  Thankfully (I trust) no one was physically injured.  

That is a bummer about your car.  My husband has totalled two of my cars and I know the frustration of getting less than what your car is worth to you. I had a Jetta and an Audi--both in excellent condition with extremely low mileage, but insurance companies don't necessarily take that into consideration.  Sending positive vibes your way for a satisfactory outcome!  

Oh, of course, the vest is Lisa Rinna!  I love the peplum detail.  I have been adding some fall/winter items to my wardrobe.  It started in July with new Ugg boots at the Nordstrom Anniversary sale and sadly my purchasing has not slowed down.  I have already spent twice as much this year as last, but I keep a spreadsheet of all my clothing (the only things it doesn't reflect are bras and undies) and I do have far fewer items in my wardrobe.  I have really "cleaned house" of things I don't love anymore. So much buzz on the book "The Joy of Tyding Up" (I think that is the title) and while I haven't read it, I do adhere to the author's philosophy. Part of my tossing things with wild abandon is a desire to downsize to either a small condo or an apartment.

I hope summer has found you "in a good place" dosey.  You deserve that that, my friend.    

@magicmoodz

You are such a sweet person, magic.  No, thankfully no one was hurt.  DS is feeling better, too.  Right now, he and his dad are buying a used car for DS.  It is safe, reliable, and boring.  Perfect for a teenager.

I think your car should be off limits to your DH without need of an explanation.  Smiley Very Happy  I hope he wasn't hurt in either accident. 

My car is being repaired, and I am driving a rental.  I have to admit that it feels nice to drive something different and new.  It has kind of lit the new car fire in me.  I won't allow it to get the best of me because buying the car for DS is enough.

So you've spent more on clothing this year than last.  That's okay because you keep your wardrobe at a manageable size.  I remember your desire to downsize.  My downtown has some cool condos and apartments.  I would love to live there when I am an empty nester.  There or on a farm so I can take in stray animals.  I have a few years to decide.

Hope you have a wonderful week!

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

I watch fashion presentations because I enjoy critiquing them. Of course, if at some point they become too annoying, I do change the channel.

I get perplexed reading so often on these forums, "If you don't like it, why do you watch?". Why is it so hard to figure out that there is an enjoyment and stress release factor involved?

In my trusty ancient Webster's, one of the definitions of "critique" is "the art of criticism." That sums it up pretty well. 

If i don't like something, it isn't a stress release or enjoyable. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

YIKES! I'm sorry I ever started this thread. Perhaps I didn't word it properly. Some responders got what I meant, others--not so much, especially the one who said I need to get a life. My life is very full, thank you very much.

Maybe I should have said I enjoy watching fashion of all types. I like to observe what's out there and in the act of observing, I critique--sometimes I like the fashion, sometimes I don't like it--simple as that.

I certainly don't sit glued to the t.v. endlessly watching something I don't like so I can put it down.

I can't make it any clearer.

Valued Contributor

When I'm home during a fashion show, I usually either have it on as background or flip over during commercials.  Now if it's a line I really dislike, or if I find the host or vendor too annoying, then I won't watch.  But what I have found with several lines including Denim & Co., Quacker Factoy and Susan Graver is that an hour show will either be completely ugly and/or boring, or else there are quite a few attractive things in the show.  You never know ahead of time which type of show it will turn out to be, so it's worth checking it out.  Now with the mixed-bag shows like AM Style, etc, odds are you'll probably see something you like - and a lot to critique.  Usually I am more critical of the way they "style" their "looks" than I am of the individual pieces they are selling!

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Esteemed Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@dosey

Oh my gosh, dosey, I am so sorry about the accident occurring at all let alone right after your son got his driver's license--especially given your family history of tragedy.  I can understand how incredibly scared and vulnerable he must feel.  You are such a good mom exploring avenues to help him through his fear.  Thankfully (I trust) no one was physically injured.  

That is a bummer about your car.  My husband has totalled two of my cars and I know the frustration of getting less than what your car is worth to you. I had a Jetta and an Audi--both in excellent condition with extremely low mileage, but insurance companies don't necessarily take that into consideration.  Sending positive vibes your way for a satisfactory outcome!  

Oh, of course, the vest is Lisa Rinna!  I love the peplum detail.  I have been adding some fall/winter items to my wardrobe.  It started in July with new Ugg boots at the Nordstrom Anniversary sale and sadly my purchasing has not slowed down.  I have already spent twice as much this year as last, but I keep a spreadsheet of all my clothing (the only things it doesn't reflect are bras and undies) and I do have far fewer items in my wardrobe.  I have really "cleaned house" of things I don't love anymore. So much buzz on the book "The Joy of Tyding Up" (I think that is the title) and while I haven't read it, I do adhere to the author's philosophy. Part of my tossing things with wild abandon is a desire to downsize to either a small condo or an apartment.

I hope summer has found you "in a good place" dosey.  You deserve that that, my friend.    

@magicmoodz

You are such a sweet person, magic.  No, thankfully no one was hurt.  DS is feeling better, too.  Right now, he and his dad are buying a used car for DS.  It is safe, reliable, and boring.  Perfect for a teenager.

I think your car should be off limits to your DH without need of an explanation.  Smiley Very Happy  I hope he wasn't hurt in either accident. 

My car is being repaired, and I am driving a rental.  I have to admit that it feels nice to drive something different and new.  It has kind of lit the new car fire in me.  I won't allow it to get the best of me because buying the car for DS is enough.

So you've spent more on clothing this year than last.  That's okay because you keep your wardrobe at a manageable size.  I remember your desire to downsize.  My downtown has some cool condos and apartments.  I would love to live there when I am an empty nester.  There or on a farm so I can take in stray animals.  I have a few years to decide.

Hope you have a wonderful week!

@dosey

Well, dosey, in all fairness to my husband, neither of the accidents were his fault (theoretically), but still a royal pain to HAVE to go out and buy a new car when not planned.  I don't usually get too emotionally connected to my cars, but I did love that Audi.  I'm glad you are able to have your car repaired instead of it being totalled.  

I really don't even understand this burning desire I have to move other than wanting everything brand new and sparkly.  I have too much love for city life to live anywhere else and I am struggling with the thought of leaving my neighborhood.  I don't think farm life would be for me.  We have a lake home and everytime we go, I get sort of sad to be leaving the heartbeat of the city.  I am fine once I get there and we have friends and family on the lake, but I still want to be surrounded by lights, cameras and ACTION!  LOL  

Hope your son is getting more confident every day!  

Trusted Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@dosey

Well, dosey, in all fairness to my husband, neither of the accidents were his fault (theoretically), but still a royal pain to HAVE to go out and buy a new car when not planned.  I don't usually get too emotionally connected to my cars, but I did love that Audi.  I'm glad you are able to have your car repaired instead of it being totalled.  

I really don't even understand this burning desire I have to move other than wanting everything brand new and sparkly.  I have too much love for city life to live anywhere else and I am struggling with the thought of leaving my neighborhood.  I don't think farm life would be for me.  We have a lake home and everytime we go, I get sort of sad to be leaving the heartbeat of the city.  I am fine once I get there and we have friends and family on the lake, but I still want to be surrounded by lights, cameras and ACTION!  LOL  

@magicmoodz

I was just kidding about your DH.  I'm sure he's a great driver.

I love city life, too,  Due to poor city planning, I can find a country home and still be minutes from city life.  I would love to renovate an old farmhouse and turn it into one of those cool contemporary-casual places.

Thank you for asking about my son.  He was not physically hurt and is much better emotionally.  As of yesterday, he has a new (used) car and drove it to school for the first time this morning.  He loved it.  Now, it is time for him to apply for a part-time job.  This is his senior year in HS, and he gets out of school at 1 p.m.  It is time for him to earn his own money for gas, entertainment, etc.  When I was his age, I was paying for my own car, insurance, gas, and clothing.  DS has it much easier in comparison.  A little more responsibility will be good for him.  I think he will enjoy earning his own money.

Paws and enjoy life.
Esteemed Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@dosey

@magicmoodz

I love city life, too,  Due to poor city planning, I can find a country home and still be minutes from city life.  I would love to renovate an old farmhouse and turn it into one of those cool contemporary-casual places.

Thank you for asking about my son.  He was not physically hurt and is much better emotionally.  As of yesterday, he has a new (used) car and drove it to school for the first time this morning.  He loved it.  Now, it is time for him to apply for a part-time job.  This is his senior year in HS, and he gets out of school at 1 p.m.  It is time for him to earn his own money for gas, entertainment, etc.  When I was his age, I was paying for my own car, insurance, gas, and clothing.  DS has it much easier in comparison.  A little more responsibility will be good for him.  I think he will enjoy earning his own money.

@dosey wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@dosey

@magicmoodz

@dosey wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@dosey

@magicmoodz

@dosey

Since we haven't talked about all the cars of his own my husband has totalled, maybe you should reserve judgment regarding his driving skills!  LOL

I'm glad you found a suitable car for your son, dosey.  I think it is great that you will have some expectations with regard to gas and insurance.  One of my sisters has two kids in college and they have to share a car, but I am almost positive they don't pay for insurance, gas, maintenance etc.  My niece insists this is the last year she will be living here.  In fact, I think she wants to move to your state all in the name of warmer weather.  She is studying to be a pharmacist but I am not sure if she has found a school there.  

One of my favorite HGTV shows is Fixer Upper.  I really appreciate Joanna's aesthetic when remodeling some of those older country homes. But it takes lots of money!  

Honored Contributor

@FLgardener

Being misunderstood is the worst.

Especially when folks actually have a chance to ask, "Is this what you meant?" or "DId you mean to say . . .?"  

But more often than not, people assume.  And then they sometimes even blame you for not fully and completely explaining, in fine detail, what you "should" have said just so they wouldn't be blamed for responding to what you didn't say.  (I'm not saying this happened on this particular thread.)

It's happened to many of us.  And it never ceases to be annoying.

Maybe we should have a meditation thread or something for occasions when this happens!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@dosey wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@dosey

@magicmoodz

@dosey wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@dosey

@magicmoodz

@dosey wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@dosey

@magicmoodz

@dosey

Since we haven't talked about all the cars of his own my husband has totalled, maybe you should reserve judgment regarding his driving skills!  LOL

I'm glad you found a suitable car for your son, dosey.  I think it is great that you will have some expectations with regard to gas and insurance.  One of my sisters has two kids in college and they have to share a car, but I am almost positive they don't pay for insurance, gas, maintenance etc.  My niece insists this is the last year she will be living here.  In fact, I think she wants to move to your state all in the name of warmer weather.  She is studying to be a pharmacist but I am not sure if she has found a school there.  

One of my favorite HGTV shows is Fixer Upper.  I really appreciate Joanna's aesthetic when remodeling some of those older country homes. But it takes lots of money!  

@magicmoodz

Hi, magic.  Life is expensive.  I don't want my kids to be shocked when they are on their own.  LOL!

If your niece wants to attend pharmacy school in SC, she should look at South Carolina College of Pharmacy in Charleston or Columbia.  Presbysterian College in Clinton also has a pharmacy school.  I know three pharmacists (just acquaintances), and they attended the school in Charleston.  One works for CVS.  The other two are married to each other.  The husband owns several pharmacies that his dad started.

I love the renovation shows on HGTV.  Sometimes I think it takes more money to renovate than it does to build a house.  One of my favorite HGTV shows was Divine Design with Candice Olson.  She is a decorating genius.  Even when the new style wasn't my taste, I still loved the outcome.  She never missed a detail.

Hope you have a super weekend!

Paws and enjoy life.
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I haven't been to a fashion show in years; I don't think of shopping channel fashion presentations as fashion shows.  Usually, I watch shoppin channel shows because I intend to buy something.  I dont watch them just to watch; but I will occasionally watch for ideas on how to style my own clothing.  Like the special value boots, I went online to see what they looked like.  I have enough tall boots, I don't need another pair; I won't watch the presentations.  What would be the point?  I cannot identify with watching to critique.  Why???  That sounds so negative and mean spirited.   I think it's fine to watch if watching is fun but watching to criticize other people's choices seems depressing to me.  

Actually, the fashion hours on the shopping channels are indeed fashion shows. They are (TV) shows presenting fashions... hence fashion shows.  Your idea of a fashion show is a runway show presenting fashion.  Therefore to describe either as a fashion show is an appropriate use of the term. 

As for my viewing, I will tune into the fashion shows on shopping channels, but there are very few designers or brands which I stick with for the full hour, and the shows like AM/PM Style and The List don't hold my interest for two hours.  Yes, I do critique the show: products, hosts, guests, models, stylists, sets).  That's part of the fun of watching.