Honored Contributor

Re: Okay, so why do we really watch fashion shows we don't like?

I will on watch the fashion presentations if it is a brand I like and I purchase.  However jewelry shows I will watch all of them.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Please let me clear up some misunderstanding about my OP.

First of all, criticism can be favorable. It includes merits as well as finding fault.

I usually watch shows with an open mind. Sometimes, I am surprised to find I like things I didn't think I would once I see them styled.

Generally speaking, my viewing of any shopping channels is done while I am cooking or doing something else at the same time.

Honestly, if I know a certain line of clothing, such as D&C or QF is not really for me, I would absolutely not sit there picking it apart.

Hope this clears up things. The simplest posts stir up animosity on these boards. That is why I don't post very often.

Trusted Contributor

@islandgrrl wrote:

@FLgardener I completely understand watching fashion shows for the entertainment factor.  I work from home and when I am doing a task that doesn't require deep concentration, I'll turn on a fashion, beauty or accessory show in the background with rare intention of buying. So I totally get what you are saying.

The piece I don't understand is a constant outpouring of negativity.  I'm not saying you do that (I'm not familiar with your posts) but there are those who enjoy playing spoiler when others are having fun or trying to gather information. "Those are hideous clothes for people who are fat." Really? These comments come from a different place than the standard 'yay or nay' critiques you are talking about.  

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree with everything you said.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MalteseMomma wrote:

WOW !  I never would watch ANY  show just to pull it apart !  What kind of person would do something like that ?

Boy, you need to get a life !  

Huh? Are you referring to my OP? I don't think you are clear on my intentions.

I was not talking about endlessly bashing things I don't care for. There is no bashing of that sort in my history of posting here. I generally like to uplift women.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess it is like watching a train wreck......entertaining in a sense. When it is not entertaining, I turn it off. I do that a lot lately......

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dosey wrote:

To paraphrase @winamac1, bad fashion is better than no fashion!

@dosey

@Hey dose!  How are you?  I wasn't familiar with @winamac1 saying that, but it is so true!  Sure beats computers and mattresses and KitchenAid mixers!

I read your comments on the vest you recently purchased.  Can't remember now, was it LOGO or GILI? but it is adorable--I'm so glad you feel it is a winner.  Like you, I think it's okay to spend what we might not once have, since we have become "more fashionable women of discerning good taste".  LOL

Honored Contributor

I just watch to see if there is anything I like to get ideas for what I would like to look for when I go shopping. Other than thinking about colors/styles & whether they would look good on me, I don't really critique much. 

I don't rant or rave about things that are not my style, don't complain because the sleeves are not the right length or anything else. I'm pretty easy-going. If there is nothing of interest for too long I just move on to another Roku channel. 

Trusted Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@dosey wrote:

To paraphrase @winamac1, bad fashion is better than no fashion!

@dosey

@Hey dose!  How are you?  I wasn't familiar with @winamac1 saying that, but it is so true!  Sure beats computers and mattresses and KitchenAid mixers!

I read your comments on the vest you recently purchased.  Can't remember now, was it LOGO or GILI? but it is adorable--I'm so glad you feel it is a winner.  Like you, I think it's okay to spend what we might not once have, since we have become "more fashionable women of discerning good taste".  LOL

@magicmoodz

Hi, magic!  It is so nice to talk to you.  I've had ups and downs recently, but things are headed up, now. Click here to read about it in the August Compact.  My husband, DS, and I are about to leave to look at cars for DS.

The vest I bought was from Lisa Rinna.  I love it.  I could wear it now, but I am holding it until September when it will feel more fall-like.  Have you been thinking about your fall/winter wardrobe?  I have.  I have decided to buy at least one poncho - a solid color goes with anything poncho and maybe a Sigrid Olsen wild floral blue poncho aI saw on HSN.  My footwear really needs updating, too.  New ankle boots for sure - black dressy and brown casual.  I want a pair of super casual tall boots - probably brown or light tan.  Have you make any purchases recently?

Paws and enjoy life.
Esteemed Contributor

@dosey

Oh my gosh, dosey, I am so sorry about the accident occurring at all let alone right after your son got his driver's license--especially given your family history of tragedy.  I can understand how incredibly scared and vulnerable he must feel.  You are such a good mom exploring avenues to help him through his fear.  Thankfully (I trust) no one was physically injured.  

That is a bummer about your car.  My husband has totalled two of my cars and I know the frustration of getting less than what your car is worth to you. I had a Jetta and an Audi--both in excellent condition with extremely low mileage, but insurance companies don't necessarily take that into consideration.  Sending positive vibes your way for a satisfactory outcome!  

Oh, of course, the vest is Lisa Rinna!  I love the peplum detail.  I have been adding some fall/winter items to my wardrobe.  It started in July with new Ugg boots at the Nordstrom Anniversary sale and sadly my purchasing has not slowed down.  I have already spent twice as much this year as last, but I keep a spreadsheet of all my clothing (the only things it doesn't reflect are bras and undies) and I do have far fewer items in my wardrobe.  I have really "cleaned house" of things I don't love anymore. So much buzz on the book "The Joy of Tyding Up" (I think that is the title) and while I haven't read it, I do adhere to the author's philosophy. Part of my tossing things with wild abandon is a desire to downsize to either a small condo or an apartment.

I hope summer has found you "in a good place" dosey.  You deserve that that, my friend.    

Honored Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

I watch fashion presentations because I enjoy critiquing them. Of course, if at some point they become too annoying, I do change the channel.

I get perplexed reading so often on these forums, "If you don't like it, why do you watch?". Why is it so hard to figure out that there is an enjoyment and stress release factor involved?

In my trusty ancient Webster's, one of the definitions of "critique" is "the art of criticism." That sums it up pretty well. 

it's like that quote about pizza

even a bad pizza is a pizza  (something like that)