Trusted Contributor

Okay, so why do we really watch fashion shows we don't like?

I watch fashion presentations because I enjoy critiquing them. Of course, if at some point they become too annoying, I do change the channel.

I get perplexed reading so often on these forums, "If you don't like it, why do you watch?". Why is it so hard to figure out that there is an enjoyment and stress release factor involved?

In my trusty ancient Webster's, one of the definitions of "critique" is "the art of criticism." That sums it up pretty well. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Okay, so why do we really watch fashion shows we don't like?

Someone mentioned that they record the shows and watch or fast forward at their leisure.  I now do the same so don't actually watch.  It takes me a few minutes to get through a 2 hour show.  I stop Periodically to take a closer look or to hear a presentation but otherwise I zoom right through most of them.  I do buy a few items here and there but glad I don't have to sit through hours to find the needles in a haystack.

Honored Contributor

I did that years ago and the smalls sold out so quickly it wasn't an advantage.

Now I don't watch and review new items instead.

Trusted Contributor

I tape a lot of the fashion shows and then fast forward through them reviewing and that seems to work for me. I enjoy doing that and that way I get to see what I missed while working.

Miata 1

Trusted Contributor

To paraphrase @winamac1, bad fashion is better than no fashion!

Paws and enjoy life.
Respected Contributor

I record everything I maybe interested in -then do the same - zoom through stop if it is something I want to see.  Last night, however,  I did try to watch Inspired Style - see my other thread - and only saw one presentation  the TSV lasting 28 mins still going on when I turned off and went to bed.   So recording is the best way for me.

Honored Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

I watch fashion presentations because I enjoy critiquing them. Of course, if at some point they become too annoying, I do change the channel.

I get perplexed reading so often on these forums, "If you don't like it, why do you watch?". Why is it so hard to figure out that there is an enjoyment and stress release factor involved?

In my trusty ancient Webster's, one of the definitions of "critique" is "the art of criticism." That sums it up pretty well. 

I would never turn a fashion show on if I watched to critique it.  I watch only to see things I like, colors I might combine, or ways I might wear my clothing in new ways.  I see things I  would like to have, and that's nice to see something you like.

I am there to things like.  If I see something I don't like, it's just that it's not what I like.  I'm not there to critique it--just see if I like it.

Respected Contributor

@FLgardener I completely understand watching fashion shows for the entertainment factor.  I work from home and when I am doing a task that doesn't require deep concentration, I'll turn on a fashion, beauty or accessory show in the background with rare intention of buying. So I totally get what you are saying.

The piece I don't understand is a constant outpouring of negativity.  I'm not saying you do that (I'm not familiar with your posts) but there are those who enjoy playing spoiler when others are having fun or trying to gather information. "Those are hideous clothes for people who are fat." Really? These comments come from a different place than the standard 'yay or nay' critiques you are talking about.  

Honored Contributor

I haven't been to a fashion show in years; I don't think of shopping channel fashion presentations as fashion shows.  Usually, I watch shoppin channel shows because I intend to buy something.  I dont watch them just to watch; but I will occasionally watch for ideas on how to style my own clothing.  Like the special value boots, I went online to see what they looked like.  I have enough tall boots, I don't need another pair; I won't watch the presentations.  What would be the point?  I cannot identify with watching to critique.  Why???  That sounds so negative and mean spirited.   I think it's fine to watch if watching is fun but watching to criticize other people's choices seems depressing to me.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

WOW !  I never would watch ANY  show just to pull it apart !  What kind of person would do something like that ?

Boy, you need to get a life !