Honored Contributor

Re: Oh my gosh! A whole 3-4 lb. turkey breast! What do you do?

People who say they can't cook are just too lazy to learn. Anyone who can read and follow directions can cook, especially now with all sorts of online tutorials and videos. But why should they learn if someone will do it for them?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 9/20/2014 ValuSkr said:

Was he intending to make a 3-4 lb turkey breast?

No, that was the advertisement on the Q main page when I looked earlier this p.m.

Honored Contributor

On 9/20/2014 GoodStuff said:

I'd suggest that when your son and his wife are cooking the holiday meal at their house, you let them decide what and how much of it to cook. I wouldn't plan to bring any desserts or other dishes without clearing it with the hosts; they may be planning something special on their own. When you're cooking it at your house, it's your turn to call the shots.

For the past several years, our family has had Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant. Lovely!

Hon, I do all the cooking for holidays. He wants "Mom's" (you know how you develop that "taste" of how a holiday is "supposed" to be?). The turkey I do is my grandmother's. I enjoy cooking and setting a pretty table and I want the little ones to have something to remember at "Gram's". Of course anytime he wanted to do grilled rainbow trout, what he does best, of course family is what's most important to me, so we'd do that. They're a young family and bought their first house a year ago and he has a young contracting business.

Respected Contributor

Oh, I do agree with you. 3lbs is smallish. But there are plenty of solo people like me however....single as I am, even I do a bigger turkey breast. I love turkey and I do a "hotel turkey" (breast alone) and roast it as I would for Thanksgiving (there is a great article in this month's Cooks Country Magazine which is part of Americas Test Kitchen--they do it in a Le Creuset type dutch oven, even moister.)

I then slice up sandwich and salad portions and freeze them, eat a turkey dinner and make soup and curry from the scraps. My mom, who is in her eighties, does a whole turkey and cuts it up and uses it for many meals. I learned this from her. Quality protein and no cooking for at least a week (unless you get tired of turkey!)

Our local Amish market (God BLESS those Amish farmers) has "turkey London Broil." It's really just a half boned turkey breast, but you bake it like London Broil and slice it. It's DELICIOUS that way. I would never think to bake a boneless turkey breast, but seasoned and roasted, it's really good. And again, lean and healthy.

Valued Contributor

We love doing turkey breasts and do them a lot. But not going to do a 3# one and can do more with turkey than just sandwiches. I make a variety of things and also have my grand daughter a lot so I like a bigger breast.

Some don't need a lot or eat alone but I would rather buy one locally and can always freeze the leftovers.

Trusted Contributor

On 9/20/2014 ECBG said:
On 9/20/2014 GoodStuff said:

I'd suggest that when your son and his wife are cooking the holiday meal at their house, you let <em>them</em> decide what and how much of it to cook. I wouldn't plan to bring any desserts or other dishes without clearing it with the hosts; they may be planning something special on their own. When you're cooking it at your house, it's your turn to call the shots.

For the past several years, our family has had Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant. Lovely!

Hon, I do all the cooking for holidays. He wants "Mom's" (you know how you develop that "taste" of how a holiday is "supposed" to be?). The turkey I do is my grandmother's. I enjoy cooking and setting a pretty table and I want the little ones to have something to remember at "Gram's". Of course anytime he wanted to do grilled rainbow trout, what he does best, of course family is what's most important to me, so we'd do that. They're a young family and bought their first house a year ago and he has a young contracting business.

Sorry --from your opening post, I gathered your son and his wife were doing the dinner and you were concerned that they planned to prepare only a smallish turkey breast. If you're doing the cooking at your house from grandma's recipe, where does the 2 - 3 lb. turkey breast enter the picture? I'd go right ahead and prepare your big turkey just as usual! Your house, you're the chef.....your choice!