Trusted Contributor

Re: Oh! No! Not Crop Pants....Not Again!

@Foxxee wrote:

I won't be wearing them because I look like I outgrew my pants and my parents couldn't afford to get me new ones that were long enough.  

Besides QVC or any other retailer isn't going to convince me to wear them.

Bermudas fall to the top of the knee. 

Pedal pushers fall right below the knee.

Capris fall mid-calf.

Crop, high water, floods, somewhere between mid-calf and the ankle.  

High-water pants are slacks with a length that sits above the ankle. They are also called "flood pants" or "flooders." The name comes from being so high that the hem is protected from getting wet even in flood waters.

The term "high-water pants" first came into use in the 1850s. They are often seen on children who have grown so much that their pants are too short.  Not to be confused with capris that are mid-calf.  High-water pants were considered a fashion faux pas.  

Thanks for this was wondering what the difference was. The only ones I can wear are pedal pushers, and they have to fit more like a legging, not loose at all...all the others look horrible on me.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

I've never figured out how much cooler I could be between ankle length pants and ones that hit mid-calf....we're taking maybe 6 inches! 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Oy vey! All this whoa is me I can't wear it because I'm too short, too fat, too tall, too thin. The list goes on ad nauseam.it's not rocket science!! Assuming you like a look then you find a version of that that works for your body.

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

I won't be wearing them because I look like I outgrew my pants and my parents couldn't afford to get me new ones that were long enough.  

Besides QVC or any other retailer isn't going to convince me to wear them.

Bermudas fall to the top of the knee. 

Pedal pushers fall right below the knee.

Capris fall mid-calf.

Crop, high water, floods, somewhere between mid-calf and the ankle.  

High-water pants are slacks with a length that sits above the ankle. They are also called "flood pants" or "flooders." The name comes from being so high that the hem is protected from getting wet even in flood waters.

The term "high-water pants" first came into use in the 1850s. They are often seen on children who have grown so much that their pants are too short.  Not to be confused with capris that are mid-calf.  High-water pants were considered a fashion faux pas.  

@Foxxee You left out "clam diggers" but I think they would be the same as capris.  It seems people either love them or hate them.  I don't care for them on me. They look OK on tall, slim and mostly younger women. I do have some that I wear doing yard work but it is a no go for me to wear them out in public. 

@carrie

I was thinking about adding them, but after reading the description...yes, the length is below the knees (pedal pushers) to mid-calf (capris.)  Clam diggers are beachy, loose fit, often have elastic waists with ties, made of lightweight fabric, and sometimes the hem is tighter around the leg and, yes, not usually worn in public.  

Honored Contributor

I dont wear shorts anymore, so capri's and crop's in the summer are great for me.

Please lets not have a whole summer of I hate crop pants threads again.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I dont wear shorts anymore, so capri's and crop's in the summer are great for me.

Please lets not have a whole summer of I hate crop pants threads again.

@Imaoldhippie 

i know what you mean!

LOL and it isnt even CLOSE to being summertime yet! Smiley Wink

count me in as loving crops, capris, and pedal pushers. for me, they are a great alternative to long pants and shorts (which i dont do anymore), PLUS i get to show off some tanned legs and cute sandals and a pedicure........maybe even an ankle bracelet.

as others have said.......they are here to stay and its a good thing we all have CHOICES.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I am glad there are choices and crop pants are one of them.  

Honored Contributor

@Roni18  I feel you...however, only some of the crop pants fit me that way.

Due to my back issues I've shrunk 1" (5'3").  So sometimes I can wear them but my butt is so big the petites only fit sometimes.

Like Isaac's petite 24/7split leg pants fit me perfectly as regular pants.  He makes the butt a little bigger I guess.  Ha!

With some of the petite pants I'll be walking and I can feel the butt getting colder and colder.  The stupid pants are sliding down my butt!  Ha!

Honored Contributor

I can't wear and don't want to wear shorts, and long pants feel too hot in the summer, so crop pants are the answer for me.  I don't wear capri pants any more as I don't like the length of these on me either.  I know when I was very young, if your pants did not cover your ankles and even go almost to the ground, the other kids made fun of you and said you were wearing "flood pants".  It was thought you were poor and could not afford to buy longer pants as you were growing.  And actually this was true for me and many people I knew in this era.  But times have changed.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

My legs still look ok, but I'm not real comfortable wearing shorts out in public...just around the house.  And I dislike the look of crops on me...looks like my regular pants shrunk.

I mostly wear capris, dresses and flowy skirts in the summer.   Cool, comfy, and I like those looks.