Respected Contributor

Re: Oh My! THAT Was A Blazer!!!!

@aroc3435 wrote:

@ECBGTry Banana Republic--which @Greeneyedlady21 reintroduced me to last autumn--or Macy's. 

And there is a brand called Mango that has its own website where you can order directly and some of their items are carried by Macy's which is where I first discovered them.  Picked up a very nice houndstooth check Karl Largerfeld a year ago on clearance at Macy's.

I have purchased several beautiful Italian wool and wool blend trousers and blazers from Banana Republic.  Blazers were $280.00 and exquisitely tailored as were the slacks.  Slacks were around $149.00.  And you order separately by size.  I am a 2 in the blazer and a 4 in the trousers.  They carry size 0 to 20.

Even though I am retired I am still a blazer girl and wear one pretty much daily, often paired with a  nice dark jean and a crisp white blouse.

I always peruse sites that carry what I like and watch for sales, and use cash back apps, in house rewards perks, etc. to get what I need for the best price.

I know my latest outlays of cash at BR are worthwhile on a cost by use basis so the "sticker shock" wasn't as bad as it otherwise might have been.

I wish you success in finding your classic bllack blazer.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Thanks for the tips! @aroc3435 

Trusted Contributor

I love a good blazer. I'm a teacher and I often pair them with my jeans and t-shirts. A good blazer is well worth $500 and will last a lifetime with proper care.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

@alliswell wrote:

Thank goodness for the designer, Louis Dell'Olio.  Over the years on QVC, Louis offered beautiful classic affordable blazers in every color imaginable, black, white, turquoise,  green, navy, even a tuxedo blazer.  

@alliswell 

I have two of LDO's black blazers.  Before I recommended the Zara one as what Kate wears, I looked to see if there were any remaining on the LDO site. Alas, not.  I have several LDO blazers, several which are too big for me but if push comes to shove, I will have them altered before I pay $500 for a blazer.  I have a lady who will alter a blazer for $100.00.

Honored Contributor

@Franklinbell wrote:

@ECBG  I,love a good blazer....I gotta ask....did you get it?

@Franklinbell 

No I didn't.  I'm not $500 "worth of happy".

I may stalk it to see what happens with reductions.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I was looking at black blazers knowing it had been years since I had updated.

I had also watched a blogger that put a classic outfit together using a black blazer.

Having taught tailoring, I immediately went to the one that was beautiful in my eyes.

The blazer was just short of $500.00!!!

I would use it for years, STILL looking......sheeeeesh!

@ECBG , check out J.Crew for black blazers. I saw a beautifully tailored one in wool at a phenomenal price point (under $200.00). Also a nice selection of other fabrics. Their tailoring is always comparable to Theory blazers that can run $500.00 and more.

@Trinity11 

Many thanks, but I'm not looking for wool.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I was looking at black blazers knowing it had been years since I had updated.

I had also watched a blogger that put a classic outfit together using a black blazer.

Having taught tailoring, I immediately went to the one that was beautiful in my eyes.

The blazer was just short of $500.00!!!

I would use it for years, STILL looking......sheeeeesh!

@ECBG , check out J.Crew for black blazers. I saw a beautifully tailored one in wool at a phenomenal price point (under $200.00). Also a nice selection of other fabrics. Their tailoring is always comparable to Theory blazers that can run $500.00 and more.

@Trinity11 

Many thanks, but I'm not looking for wool.

I also mentioned that there were other fabrics offered @ECBG . Personally, I would buy the one you covet. $500.00 is not outrageous if you streamline your wardrobe, buy less but have some key quality pieces. You often share Ralph Lauren fashion shows on YouTube. RL blazers are triple the price....

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

Many thanks.  We'll see.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Any blazer or other clothes that cost $500 better last a lifetime. Otherwise, that person has been taken. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Contributor

[ Edited ]

About 15 years ago I bought a cashmere/wool blazer from Brooks Brothers (before they were in financial trouble and used the best fabrics and the tailoring was magnificent). I bought it on sale the day after Christmas and even on sale, paid close to $500.

During the fall/winter/early spring months, I wear that blazer at least three days a week.

Fast forward 15 years - the blazer is going strong. While no one would mistake it for new, it is a classic cut blazer that never goes out of style and still looks great and I still too this day get compliments when I wear it. For staple pieces like a good pair of trousers, a good basic black skirt and a black dress, sometimes paying more upfront works out best in the long run. I still wear clothes for work that I bought 20 years ago because they are all in great condition, are well made and not only fit well, they also still look good on me.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG  I LOVE blazers.....   and a black one... how chic.  I also love beautiful fabrics and tayloring,  but $500 is pretty steep!