Respected Contributor

Observation: Store inventories

I had some serious shopping to do for some events this fall. So I went to Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. I was shopping for Lafayette, Vince, Tahari, St John, others.

What I noticed was that there would be 2 maybe 3 sizes of a particular item. There would be a small size and a large size such as a 4 and a 12 of a jacket. In both stores, the sales clerk said that we order and send directly to you. Shipping is free yada, yada. 

I think it is a way to reduce inventory cost for the brick and morter stores. But it was so difficult to shop when you had on an item 2 sizes too large or maybe the correct size but the wrong color. I thought shopping in person would keep from online order and return but I was wrong. 

I selected a St John jacket that had to be orderd for size. The clerk said "you will need to make an alteration appt. and there is a charge if you do not have a Nordstrom card." 

Shopping is so frustrating.

Honored Contributor

Re: Observation: Store inventories

@granddiSo frustrating!  I much prefer to shop brick and mortar, especially for the kinds of clothing you were trying to buy.

Overall for me, the changes mean I'm doing with less and less although I don't feel deprived.  I'm just buying more thoughtfully and not falling for sales, coupons, etc. which used to get me to  uy even when I really didn't need.  Just this afternoon as I sorted a low dresser drawer, I actually found a lovely turquoise tank from a few years ago -  sale tag still firmly attached!  Shame on me, but good thing it's not a style problem.

I had just ordered the taupe TSV -  that tank will be perfect under it.  And now I have all the long-sleeved shirts I need for at least a year.

Honored Contributor

I hate shopping for clothes. I wear the same thing year round except I wear capris in the summer & pants in the winter. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@granddi 

Lack of inventory of sizes in stores defeats the purpose of buying at brick & mortar stores. I prefer to try things on first so I make fewer mistakes, but if the stores aren’t carrying my size then that doesn’t help me. I have noticed fewer quantities & thus, fewer size options in brick & mortar stores. Sometimes I see every size but the one I need. It is frustrating. 

Honored Contributor

@granddi Since the brands you were looking at are highly respected, it's likely that online orders took the sizes for mail order customers.  Also, Nordstrom had that gigantic "preseason" sale and didn't necessarily mean they had more stock coming in assuming that you were at a major location.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I noticed this the other day.  I was at our local Macy's.  Last year, they took away a good bit of floor space near the door to create a pick up area for items puchased online.   Then, they took much of the 2nd floor and put in a big furniture department.  Now, they have taken at least 1/3 of the remaining upstairs and turned it into Macy's Second Act.  Discounted items.  Like a store within a store.  The "stuff" that used to be upstairs is now crammed on the first floor -- just a lot less of it.  You know they are trying to stay relevant in the new retail market.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@granddi Since the brands you were looking at are highly respected, it's likely that online orders took the sizes for mail order customers.  Also, Nordstrom had that gigantic "preseason" sale and didn't necessarily mean they had more stock coming in assuming that you were at a major location.

I would agree but the items were fall arrivals and the observation was not just Nordstrom.

Same thing happened with some designer shoes that were on line. When I asked to see and try on I was told just order. I said I just I don't want to hassel with returning. Clerk said just order and have sent to the store. Try on here and if unsatisfactory they just walk away. Nordstrom's service bar (returns) line is always 6 people long. 

Both stores had special rewards(cash back) going Labor Day Weekend.

Many are trying new "ideas" such as clothing rental, pre-owned items, rewards, partnering with others and inventory reduction. The free shipping and free returns is driving away from Q. I have 2 rewards setting on my desk,one from Eileen Fisher for $25.00 off anything and $50.00 Tori Burch off anything.

I THINK RETAIL IS GETTING NERVOUS.

Honored Contributor

I've noticed this happening just after the big recession in 2008----too much inventory so all retail cut way down. Includes all businesses that sells to the public. there is more inventory online now, so stores won't have to carry as much inventory to count.