Honored Contributor

Is anyone else watching?

Valued Contributor

Re: Objectified: Martha Stewart

Yes, and I have to say it is very interesting. Martha seems very open about herself.

Honored Contributor

It's interesting you say that, @Nonametoday.  I saw part of it.  I was enjoying it, and her candor, up to one point.  When talking about her Dad, and the traits they shared and how close they were, she said, "And I hate to say this, but I think I was his favorite daughter".

I think openness is fine, up to the point where you may hurt other people, needlessly.  I mentioned her comment to hubby, and he agreed that, even if you thought that, the truly considerate person would not voice it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just turned turned it on (it's a repeat) and I remember her saying that. I think she said it because Harvey Levin asked who she took after - and she said, she's very much like her father. He had to have things "perfect" - and so does she. Martha is an amazing person --- so talented - and real. It was a great show.

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

I just turned turned it on (it's a repeat) and I remember her saying that. I think she said it because Harvey Levin asked who she took after - and she said, she's very much like her father. He had to have things "perfect" - and so does she. Martha is an amazing person --- so talented - and real. It was a great show.

@Oznell

@kivah

@piperbay

That was the only part that bothered me is when she stated she thought she was his favorite daughter.  I grew up in a family where we always knew who the favorite daughter was and it was certainly not I but I was the favorite granddaughter of my grandfather and I think it was because my sister always seemed the fair-haired child that my grandfather felt he needed to compensate.  Therefore, all the other family members (including cousins) disliked me because I was his favorite, but it never bothered them because my sister was our parents' favorite.  Shrugs shoulders.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure her siblings already know this. Some families do have a favorite. It doesn't mean the other children are loved any less

We all know my sister was my mothers favorite. It was just a fact, like having blue eyes. I don't think anyone  in my family really cared

She wasn't treated any better than the rest of us, and we weren't mistreated either.

Honored Contributor

I quite agree that such things can be tacitly if not openly acknowledged in families or wider groups, for that matter.  What I found jarring, I suppose, is that Ms. Stewart would take that observation and make it part of a very public interview.  I think most, if not all, of her siblings are younger than she, and so likely to be still alive and hear the interview.

It's not the family favoritism aspect that Is paramount, to me.  It's the saying anything in public, that you do not need to, that might cause pain to someone.  It's the unseemliness of it, the neglect of simple manners, in my view.

Oh, well. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I quite agree that such things can be tacitly if not openly acknowledged in families or wider groups, for that matter.  What I found jarring, I suppose, is that Ms. Stewart would take that observation and make it part of a very public interview.  I think most, if not all, of her siblings are younger than she, and so likely to be still alive and hear the interview.

It's not the family favoritism aspect that Is paramount, to me.  It's the saying anything in public, that you do not need to, that might cause pain to someone.  It's the unseemliness of it, the neglect of simple manners, in my view.

Oh, well. 

You never know. The siblings might all be saying, 'dream on, Martha' and laugh heartily. hahaha You all know how sibs are.

Esteemed Contributor

I think many of u are reading way too much into what Martha said. I read that Martha only had one sister (4 brothers) and she and her sister worked together for many years. They were very close but, unfortunately, her sister passed away several years ago.