Trusted Contributor

OUTFITS OR MIX AND MATCH ITEMS?

I seem to be drivings myself a bit crazy these days when I go to get myself dressed for the day!  I have always been one to buy clothes that I can mix and match but yet I feel sometimes as though I have nothing that I like together!!  So I think I will organize my closet with outfits!!  I don't have this problem with my very dressy clothes...only with everyday things!!   I feel I would have less clothes and a much neater closet!!  It will be my new project!!

How do you do it!!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: OUTFITS OR MIX AND MATCH ITEMS?

I solved that problem many years ago when I started limiting the colors in my wardrobe.  Putting an outfit together was hard for me because I had to spend soooooo much time finding piieces that matched or coordinated in color.  If picked wine colored pants, I'd have find a top that color coordinated and then a blazer and everything fell apart and I'd have to go back to square one if the wine pants weren't the same as the cranberry tank or if the gray blazer I wanted was in the cleaners.  So, I started buying my basics in neutral colors only.  I never deviate.  My pants/skirts/dresses/blazers are all black or navy or gray.  I also have draw full of black and white tanks/tees/camisoles.  I collect white button down shirts so I have a lot of those.  The color in my wardrobe comes in the form of cardigans and turlenecks.  I have those in every color of the rainbow.   So, if I decide on a navy skirt, the mix and match potential is absolutely endless.  I really don't have to give it much thought at all.  Navy skirt/white tee/pink cardigan.....I'm done.  Of course, I live in seprates and that's deliberate too.  I don't want to get into a "this top" goes with "those pants" mind set because if I did that, I'd end up wearing the same 5 outfits every week.  Most of what own would never leave my closet. 

Honored Contributor

@Newgate

When I had my daily fashion thread, I liked to put together 1-2 weeks worth of clothing/jewelry and then in the morning I just had to pick out one of those combinations.  I spent about an hour on Sundays putting everything together and then there was nothing to think about in the mornings.  You might try putting together a week's worth of outfits, hang them together in your closet or where you do laundry, and see how it works for you.Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

I guess I'm an "outlier" on this. On a typical Sunday when I get dressed up for church an dining out, I really don't know what I'll feel like wearing until I get up. I'm blessed with a large selection of things to wear. I try not to wear anything I wore recently.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do the same thing as Chrystaltree in that all my pants are either black or denim, with a very few that are gray or navy.  I have tops that vary in color and style and just pick whichever one of those I feel like wearing.  I can't get my clothes ready the day before because I have to pick out what I feel like wearing at the moment. 

Super Contributor

Ahh. Dresses make life so easy. Pull over your head , add some jewelry and go. If it's cold , yank on tights. Add a sweater. :-)

Honored Contributor

Never outfits!  My entire wardrobe is mix and match.  Works best for me.

Honored Contributor

I mix and match items to make lots of outfits. I also keep my pants bottoms neutral solid colors. I own solid and print tops, skirts, and dresses. My closet is organized by color so it is easy to select items that go together. I like to plan my looks for the week on Saturday. Sometimes I change my mind due to weather or mood; usually it is which top to wear. Again, since everything is organized by color changing my mind is no big deal. 

Honored Contributor

Because I am basically not a morning person when I had to be at work at 7:30 AM I would get everything ready the night before so I could be at the bus stop for my commute into the city by 6:30 AM.   Often I would do a couple of days at a time.  

Respected Contributor

I used to worry so about what to wear to work because I thought people were actually noticing what I was wearing.  Getting ready for work became so much easier once I realized that other people don't really notice... or care for that matter. Instead of wearing a different style and print every day, like others have said, I got basic solid colors in pants as well as blazers/cardigans, then added a print in tops or scarves to mix it up. 

So, for example, one day I'd wear navy pants with pastel pink cardigan and print scarf, another day in the same week, I'd wear navy pants with gray blazer and print top.  One time gold jewelry, next time silver.