Respected Contributor

Re: OT: Arlington, Tx hiking/shopping?

On 2/4/2014 LDOlvr said:
On 2/3/2014 upsidedown said:

I just saw the weather forecast and it will be in the mid to low 30's all week....and rain two days and snow Wed or Thurs. afternoon.....so if you are coming this week I would not plan on hiking.....take a cab to either Northpark Mall or the Galleria Mall....you can easily log several miles in either one. Arlington doesn't really have very many malls that most would be interested in if you just want to walk and spend time there....you could also try a museum that an allow you to stay indoors yet still get some walking in:

GWBush Presidential Library and Museum is on the SMU Campus in Dallas

Kimball art museum in Fort Worth

Perot science museum in downtown Dallas: it is spectacular......

the Ft Worth Stock Show is in progress right now also; check it out online.....great fun and lots of great food and local color....you would really get some walking done there!

Hope you enjoy your visit.

I am from Fort Worth and I would heartily agree with upsidedown's suggestions. The GWBush Presidential Library was just wonderful! Went there last summer. Sort of a pain to get to with all the construction in the area. May have improved by now.

And of course, the Kimball. It is such a great place to see. I would also suggest the Cowgirl Museum and the Museum of Modern Art, both in Fort Worth.

And visit the new "square" in Sundance Square in downtown Fort Worth. Eat at the Bird Cafe which is on the square.

I SO miss Fort Worth, can you tell???

Thanks ladies!! I might have to go for the weekend sometime. I do love museums, and we went a few years back to some of the museums in Dallas. It was fun.

Honored Contributor

There is a botanical garden in Dallas which is beautiful in the spring and a nice place to walk.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

Just have him drop you off at my house on your way up I-35! LOL We can hike around my neighborhood (which is flat) or drive up the road a piece and hike where it's hilly. Who am I kidding? I don't hike. I would say we could then visit our mall, but you know how I hate to shop. The Dr. Pepper Museum here is fun if you've never been, or the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame.

Frequent Contributor

Just have him drop you off at my house on your way up I-35! LOL We can hike around my neighborhood (which is flat) or drive up the road a piece and hike where it's hilly. Who am I kidding? I don't hike. I would say we could then visit our mall, but you know how I hate to shop. The Dr. Pepper Museum here is fun if you've never been, or the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame.

Trusted Contributor

Not exactly Arlington, but I used to live in Plano (north Dallas suburbs) and went hiking all the time at Arbor Hills Nature Preserve. It is very close (just a mile or two) to The Shops at Willow Bend, mall just off the North Dallas Tollway, just north of The Galleria. I didn't catch what time of year you are going, but right now my Dallas friends are feeling the cold! I don't know if you're interested, but you can go ice skating (indoors) at The Galleria, if you want a little recreational exercise. Also in the vicinity (just off the Tollway, between the Galleria & Willow Bend) is Mary Kay HQ, which also has the Mary Kay museum, which can be fun. But all of that is a good hike from Arlington.

I don't know too much about what's in Arlington, but in good weather we LOVED the Fort Worth Zoo, which isn't too far and you can get plenty of walking in. The Stockyards in Fort Worth are really fun, too, and a popular tourist destination. There are a lot of restaurants, shopping, and other fun stuff there (cowboys, for one! {#emotions_dlg.devil2})

Just north of Arlington is the town of Grapevine, Tx, which has an adorable little downtown, full of quaint shops and restaurants. If you have the time, you can take the Tarantula Train from Grapevine to the Stockyards in FW. Google Grapevine Vintage Railroad. Just NE of Grapevine is Grapevine Mills, a huge outlet mall. It's just off 121 (about where 121 and 26 meet, just north of the Dallas Airport).

Trusted Contributor

On 2/4/2014 kachina624 said: There is a botanical garden in Dallas which is beautiful in the spring and a nice place to walk.

Beautiful year-round!! They do an amazing job at the botanical garden!

Respected Contributor

On 2/5/2014 LaurieJill said:

I would stop by for supper if we weren't flying through both ways. I have to stop at Mom's to leave and pick up Kyanne. I honestly never "walked for fun" before either!! lol It's a new thing, but it was fun and made me happy.

Respected Contributor

On 2/5/2014 Vamp said:

Not exactly Arlington, but I used to live in Plano (north Dallas suburbs) and went hiking all the time at Arbor Hills Nature Preserve. It is very close (just a mile or two) to The Shops at Willow Bend, mall just off the North Dallas Tollway, just north of The Galleria. I didn't catch what time of year you are going, but right now my Dallas friends are feeling the cold! I don't know if you're interested, but you can go ice skating (indoors) at The Galleria, if you want a little recreational exercise. Also in the vicinity (just off the Tollway, between the Galleria & Willow Bend) is Mary Kay HQ, which also has the Mary Kay museum, which can be fun. But all of that is a good hike from Arlington.

I don't know too much about what's in Arlington, but in good weather we LOVED the Fort Worth Zoo, which isn't too far and you can get plenty of walking in. The Stockyards in Fort Worth are really fun, too, and a popular tourist destination. There are a lot of restaurants, shopping, and other fun stuff there (cowboys, for one! {#emotions_dlg.devil2})

Just north of Arlington is the town of Grapevine, Tx, which has an adorable little downtown, full of quaint shops and restaurants. If you have the time, you can take the Tarantula Train from Grapevine to the Stockyards in FW. Google Grapevine Vintage Railroad. Just NE of Grapevine is Grapevine Mills, a huge outlet mall. It's just off 121 (about where 121 and 26 meet, just north of the Dallas Airport).

Thank you Vamp!! I've been to Grapevine for Draft Horse events but never looked around! I am just going to be there tomorrow during the day while DH has some meetings and yes, it looks like it is going to barely be above freezing. I've got my Dennis Basso in the car. Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Well I had a wonderful time, my first time driving in snow! I went to the Parks Mall and enjoyed walking around. I walked 3 miles before I started shopping, and was only able to spend a few dollars when my DH called me to come and pick him up. His meeting was cut short so we headed home. Thanks to all for the great suggestions. I know I will have to head that way again and visit all those other lovely places. Smiley Happy