Honored Contributor

Re: OMG! What was she thinking????

Don't forget those "sensible shoes."  Seeing as one can become a grandmother at 38 or less nowdays, I don't conjure the same image in my head as I used to.  I once saw a lady obviously in her 80's at a Woolrich store all decked out in Woolrich's outdoor themed clothing.  She looked great.  So, no, I'm not offended by any of these people.  I wish I had seen LaBellum, that is one of my favorite groups.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm listening to HSN as I get dressed and the LaBellum vendor just laid a major insult on HSN's core customer.   And grandmothers in general.  There she is selling vintage inspired clothing on a shopping channels that caters to middle aged and older women and she actually said   "you don't want to look like your wearing your grandmother's clothes!"  There she stands (half asleep) selling stuff and she doesn't have the foggiest idea of who the target customer is.   The host tried to clean it up but  that just wasn't possible.  I've never seen that line LaBellum by Hillary Scott but I have to assume the woman put her foot her sqarely in her mouth and dissed both the clothing and the HSN customer is not....Hillary Scott.   

@chrystaltree 

I think there is a big difference between saying you don't want to look like A grandma versus what you quoted "You don't want to look like your (sic) wearing your grandmother's clothes!"

Let's break it down. I believe you are in your late 50s. For simplicity your grandmother might be 40 years older than you. That means she is pushing 100. I doubt she is rocking G.I.L.I. or Lisa Rinna clothing. So, as someone who often refers to herself as a fashionista, maybe it is true. You don't want to look like you're wearing your grandmother's clothes.

I guess I don't find the vendor's comment all that inflammatory.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz  ITA.  I do not find it inflammatory.  Personally I do not want to look like my Grandmother did.  

Super Contributor

I love it when someone tells me that I look like my grandmother. She was so beautiful!

Honored Contributor

It doesn't bother me in the least. I love being a grandmother and I waited a long time for it to happen.

I have earned the right to "look" like a grandmother. It's kind of fun to have the pressure off to look "perfect" when I walk out the door. Now I can wear anything I want and feel comfortable. Over the years I have earned it....

Respected Contributor

Your grandma, not a grandma...mine wore a cotton house dress, white anklet socks with heavy black laced shoes everyday & on Sunday she added pearls. I'm 68 & don't want my granddaughters to dress like me...I wear sensible, they should wear fun. No insult was intended.

Super Contributor

They all say this. I've heard QVC host use that term.

Honored Contributor

To me it appears the market has been shifting towards the generation of people who are now the majority and that means grandmas are being seated in the back of the room now and the people with more spending power takes the lead. I don't mind. I'd rather not be the focus of anything in my life right now. I'm a happy Boomer and proud to be one. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

The Queen is a Great Grandmother and look at all the compliments she gets on  her fashions and  sense of style..

Honored Contributor

I'm more bothered by the term age-appropriate for anything from fashion, to makeup, to hair than that term, and I was a grandmother at 40.