Honored Contributor

OMG! What was she thinking????

I'm listening to HSN as I get dressed and the LaBellum vendor just laid a major insult on HSN's core customer.   And grandmothers in general.  There she is selling vintage inspired clothing on a shopping channels that caters to middle aged and older women and she actually said   "you don't want to look like your wearing your grandmother's clothes!"  There she stands (half asleep) selling stuff and she doesn't have the foggiest idea of who the target customer is.   The host tried to clean it up but  that just wasn't possible.  I've never seen that line LaBellum by Hillary Scott but I have to assume the woman put her foot her sqarely in her mouth and dissed both the clothing and the HSN customer is not....Hillary Scott.   

Trusted Contributor

Re: OMG! What was she thinking????

[ Edited ]

"Grandma" has been  getting a bad rap now for a long time.  You don't want to dress like Grandma, you don't want to decorate like Grandma, you definitely don't want to look like Grandma.

Well, you can't insult me by dissing Grandma.

I loved my grandmothers and should only hope to look like them, work as hard as them, cook as well as them, be as fine a woman as them. And certainly live as long as them (95 years for one, almost 102 for the other.)

When I think of Grandma, I think of only wonderful things.

Esteemed Contributor

And then there are those who comment on a particular pattern, often SG's florals, saying they remind them of their grandmother's curtains.....or slipcovers. Oh wait ......I think I might have said that a few times myself! (and i'm a grandmother)

Honored Contributor

That particular saying does get on my nerves some but not earth shattering.  I am sure I have used that phrase many times myself and Im a grandma and 74 yrs old.

I do think, however, it should not be used on a shopping channel.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I totally agree.  I did not see this show, but that vendor should be ashamed of herself.

And since HSN is QVC, hopefully they will take note of this, but I doubt that will happen.

Honored Contributor

It’s a lazy way of describing something that is unfashionable, outdated , and frumpy. Those adjectives can apply to someone of any age, like I said lazy.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl 

But there is difference between viewers and customers critiquing an item and the vendor insulting potential customers....along with the items she's there to sell.  In 30 years of watching shopping channels, this was first for me.  

Honored Contributor

She is the singer of Lady Antebellum.  She is not the first one to say something like that.  Laurie Felt said something about not looking like a farmer in her jeans and she said it twice. I myself didn't take offense by the comment.

Respected Contributor

I can see how some might find that insulting.  However you could also interpret it that they are marketing to a somewhat younger audience and they are saying you should dress age appropriate.  Just like they have that brand of jeans called NYDJ (not your daughter's jeans), marketing to women who are older and don't want to wear what a 20-something might wear and look silly.  Just a thought.

Esteemed Contributor

I take more offense at the way a certain popular host here on the Q talks to her core audience of "grammies & grampies" or whatever the heck it is she refers to them as. I may be a grammie (in fact I'm a great grammie) but I don't need to be spoken to like I'm a child.