Honored Contributor

Re: OMG! What was she thinking????

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

Your grandma, not a grandma...mine wore a cotton house dress, white anklet socks with heavy black laced shoes everyday & on Sunday she added pearls. I'm 68 & don't want my granddaughters to dress like me...I wear sensible, they should wear fun. No insult was intended.

@kitcat51 

OMG mine wore the same outfit!!! Did she have short fluffy cottonball hair and glasses too? Woman Wink But where on earth did they find those clunky man shoes? Pretty sure she had a white pair too

@Andreatoo   YES!!! The white ones were for Easter Mass and other events during the summer else, the black shoes were worn daily.

I can tell you why my Grams wore them: she had a slight club foot and needed arch support..her toenails also changed due to cancer and chemo. There were no supportive shoes and ortho inserts weren't really the norm; the arch support was made as part of the shoe. She had to order them through her podiatrist. She hated them but there were no other options for women with serious foot issues then, so...that was that.

Respected Contributor

@decbabe wrote:

I am a grandma, great grandma and great great grandma..I have a figure better than some teens I've seen, my hair is stylish and I dress stylish..not teenager stylish..but fashionable ...and most take me for a heck of a lot younger than what I am.  So those hosts and vendors on the shopping channels shouldn't diss on grandmas...some look better than the hosts and vendors....

I am not sure what you stating that you have a body better than some teens has to do with the discussion of selling tactics, but OK.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

Your grandma, not a grandma...mine wore a cotton house dress, white anklet socks with heavy black laced shoes everyday & on Sunday she added pearls. I'm 68 & don't want my granddaughters to dress like me...I wear sensible, they should wear fun. No insult was intended.

@kitcat51 

OMG mine wore the same outfit!!! Did she have short fluffy cottonball hair and glasses too? Woman Wink But where on earth did they find those clunky man shoes? Pretty sure she had a white pair too

@Andreatoo   YES!!! The white ones were for Easter Mass and other events during the summer else, the black shoes were worn daily.

I can tell you why my Grams wore them: she had a slight club foot and needed arch support..her toenails also changed due to cancer and chemo. There were no supportive shoes and ortho inserts weren't really the norm; the arch support was made as part of the shoe. She had to order them through her podiatrist. She hated them but there were no other options for women with serious foot issues then, so...that was that.

@SahmIam 

I'm thinking that by the 1970s there were alternatives to those but she was pretty set in her ways. I unfortunately do not have warm fuzzy remembrances of my grandmother she was not a very nice person. Very cold

Trusted Contributor

Wow!  I never heard this and am dying to know who it is.

Trusted Contributor

People are taking offense at too many things now.  Like Laurie Felt's comment about farmer jeans.  Well, it's true!  You don't want to look like you're wearing work clothes.  People need to chill.  I don't watch HSN, but QVC has some pretty fashionable clothing.  Any designer who is constantly producing a lot of clothing for the channel will have fails.  I have such fashionable QVC clothing that I purchased for summer and vacation and they aren't really specifically targeted to older women.    Most are from Isaac, but I've purchased from a few others.  I don't just buy from QVC, I do go to my B&M Department store, Macy's.  I'm a somewhat trendy (but not over the top trendy) dresser and I think more so than many younger people I know.  QVC alerts you to trends.   

Super Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

@kitcat51 

Mine did too, but she would go barefoot. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

Image result for gorgeous grandmothers

This is me @silkyk !  Lol.

Honored Contributor

@misschristy wrote:

Wow!  I never heard this and am dying to know who it is.

If you are responding to the OP, she is talking about Hilary Scott who is the lead singer of Lady Antebellum. 

Trusted Contributor

@decbabe wrote:

I am a grandma, great grandma and great great grandma..I have a figure better than some teens I've seen, my hair is stylish and I dress stylish..not teenager stylish..but fashionable ...and most take me for a heck of a lot younger than what I am.  So those hosts and vendors on the shopping channels shouldn't diss on grandmas...some look better than the hosts and vendors....

Speaking for myself, my body isn't better than any teen. It never will be be again. I might be slimmer, more athletic, whatever than some teens, but, my skin and muscles are not what they were. A teen will always look better than me if I'm going to compare myself. However, I'm not in any competition with teens.

I know what I like wearing. I don't do trendy, but, I do current/updated. My grandmother always dressed current/updated. BUT, even her fashionable clothes are not today's clothes. There are similarities, but, much of it would have to be tweaked to look current today.

Pretty sure that's what was meant by vendor. 

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

The Queen is a Great Grandmother and look at all the compliments she gets on  her fashions and  sense of style..

That is very true, but I wouldn't want to look/dress like her and I am a grandmother.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!