Honored Contributor

Re: OMG! What was she thinking????

I'm more offended about OP's perception that all viewers of home shopping channels are old ladies in a rocking chair. Really? That is far more degrading than what this presenter said on HSN. Geez!

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

At least she didn't say "don't dress like an old lady". Or old lady shoes,prints,etc, that I see sometimes. I find that term very disrespectful. 

Respected Contributor

how many times have i heard "these aren't your grandmother's pearls" !!! --- the meaning being that the pearls being shown are updated.   it's pretty much in common parlance in that sense now.  anyway i enjoy Hillary's fashions- and music -  and find her to be very gentle so hardly think she was meaning to offend.

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I'm more offended about OP's perception that all viewers of home shopping channels are old ladies in a rocking chair. Really? That is far more degrading than what this presenter said on HSN. Geez!

LOL!  I don't know any younger than grandma type people who shop on a shopping channel, so I get it.

Respected Contributor

Image result for gorgeous grandmothers

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm listening to HSN as I get dressed and the LaBellum vendor just laid a major insult on HSN's core customer.   And grandmothers in general.  There she is selling vintage inspired clothing on a shopping channels that caters to middle aged and older women and she actually said   "you don't want to look like your wearing your grandmother's clothes!"  There she stands (half asleep) selling stuff and she doesn't have the foggiest idea of who the target customer is.   The host tried to clean it up but  that just wasn't possible.  I've never seen that line LaBellum by Hillary Scott but I have to assume the woman put her foot her sqarely in her mouth and dissed both the clothing and the HSN customer is not....Hillary Scott.   

@chrystaltree 

I think there is a big difference between saying you don't want to look like A grandma versus what you quoted "You don't want to look like your (sic) wearing your grandmother's clothes!"

Let's break it down. I believe you are in your late 50s. For simplicity your grandmother might be 40 years older than you. That means she is pushing 100. I doubt she is rocking G.I.L.I. or Lisa Rinna clothing. So, as someone who often refers to herself as a fashionista, maybe it is true. You don't want to look like you're wearing your grandmother's clothes.

I guess I don't find the vendor's comment all that inflammatory.

@magicmoodz 

Nor I. I just take it to mean 'dated'

Meanwhile I'm annoyed at the name NYDJ because I infer that to mean at my age I need specially engineered jeans! lol (yes I'm probably overthinking it)

Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Your grandma, not a grandma...mine wore a cotton house dress, white anklet socks with heavy black laced shoes everyday & on Sunday she added pearls. I'm 68 & don't want my granddaughters to dress like me...I wear sensible, they should wear fun. No insult was intended.

Your grandmother dressed almost exactly like mine. She wore very heavy nylons with the black laced shoes. I loved her very much but would never dress like she did.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Your grandma, not a grandma...mine wore a cotton house dress, white anklet socks with heavy black laced shoes everyday & on Sunday she added pearls. I'm 68 & don't want my granddaughters to dress like me...I wear sensible, they should wear fun. No insult was intended.

@kitcat51 

OMG mine wore the same outfit!!! Did she have short fluffy cottonball hair and glasses too? Woman Wink But where on earth did they find those clunky man shoes? Pretty sure she had a white pair too

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

@kitcat51 

OMG mine wore the same outfit!!! Did she have short fluffy cottonball hair and glasses too? Woman Wink But where on earth did they find those clunky man shoes? Pretty sure she had a white pair too

Mine had very long gray hair, always worn in a bun. We were very close, but I rarely saw her hair down. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I take more offense at the way a certain popular host here on the Q talks to her core audience of "grammies & grampies" or whatever the heck it is she refers to them as. I may be a grammie (in fact I'm a great grammie) but I don't need to be spoken to like I'm a child.

Ditto, I call her the granny panderer.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan