Honored Contributor

Re: OMG - WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!

@Carolm 

Congrats on your weight loss -- that's a great accomplishment!

I have been on a weight loss journey myself & must say "I'm used to buying things that I think look good but not so much on me!"

I love dresses!  I went shopping last week with my niece & everything I tried on was a big 👎🏻🙀!  So we went to Macy's & I let her help me select a few -- ended up with a "mock style wrap dress" looks nice, perfect length and hides a "multitude of sins"😉

Again, congrats🌷 

Respected Contributor

I have trouble wearing dresses too. A couple of years ago I ordered a Linea maxi dress and have worn it for two summers. I most often wear jeans or MarlaWynne pants. It is nice to change with a dress occasionally. Congrats on your weight loss @Carolm  and good luck on your search.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

@Carolm   64 pounds is a huge accomplishment...congratulations!  I was thinking that maybe if you just lost the weight, you are not used to your new body size.  Give yourself some time to adjust and enjoy the new possibilities!  You are dedicated and courageous....keep trying on different types of dresses and I'll bet you will eventually really appreciate your new found body in a beautiful dress! 

Honored Contributor

@Carolm 

Bravo on the weight loss! Not all dress styles work on all body types. I know my daughter has a hard time with dresses. May I suggest a pencil skirt? Theyre is easy as a pair of trousers but they look good on most body types and you can match it with any top in your wardrobe

Slinky, on HSN, has some great pencil skirts that are very easy to move in and the prices are very reasonable

Respected Contributor

@Carolm  @Andreatoo @lolakimono & all

I haven't worn a dress in a decade, either. I'm slim. It's not always about changing body sizes. Sometimes, it's about changing styles.

I simply love the more flexible combinations of outfits I can manage with pants (and the occsional pencil skirt!). Slim-fit denims, cashmere sweaters, silky tunic tops, low heels or ballet flats, and a couture or whimsical jacket. 

I just don't find a dress as fun to work with these days, though I often enjoy the look on others. Don't fret that you were out-of-your-rational-mind to order a dress. @lolakimono is gifted at reading our minds and posting wonderful possibilities . . .

Honored Contributor

Well, here's a thought and this is what I have experienced.  I used to like wearing a certain type of dress when I was younger -- say, for instance, my 40's --- and I thought they were attractive on me.  I had to quit wearing dresses for the most part because of a continuing ankle condition and not being able to wear decent shoes.   Flash forward to present day --- tried to wear similar style dress --- e-gads --- horrible!  I may weigh approximately the same as I did -- but the body weight has definitely shifted around and I am not as firm, etc. as I once was.  

For me, I still love a lot of the same types of clothing, but they don't love me!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I think any woman can wear and look good in a dress. You just have to find the right style for your body and your taste. Maybe try shopping in a store with someone whose opinion you value.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecessL&T's is still around although the flagship store on 5th avenue is gone unfortunately.  Check their website.  They do have great dresses and free shipping over $99.

Honored Contributor

Wow congratulations!

You have a new body to get used to!

For me, I have a thick waist, I prefer a shift style dress, knee length or midi with a pattern.

I'm not at all afraid of color or pattern.

Ronni Nicole was my favorite label.   If I found something I liked, I didn't have to try it on.

I also had good luck with Simply Vera at Kohls

If you now have a figure, go with a classic wrap.

Now I have mostly separates,   I buy mid-length skirts and mix & match with my tops.   I wear skirts & dresses primarily in warm weather.

Plan a day to go try on dresses.    Macy's, Nordstrom, Kohls, Steinmart have been my favorites.

@Carolm wrote:

I decided that this spring I would like to add a couple of dresses to my wardrobe.  I haven't worn a dress in at least a decade.  Anyway, I saw two I thought I liked, one by Isaac and one by Susan g.  Both floral and both very pretty (or so I thought).  Well they arrived and when I saw them my reaction was "What Was I Thinking".  So different than on TV or my laptop.  I tried them on and they did not improve.  Guess I'm back to the drawing board. 

Honored Contributor

I like skirts more then dresses. I usually wear them short.  With a little  top.  Sometimes with a jean jacket.  I have very few "nice" dresses.  I'm usually in jeans.  Summertime I'm more in skirts to work.