Honored Contributor

Re: O/T - ""meet & greet"" new baby party. Is this something new?

On 9/22/2014 brii said:

Why is everybody always accusing people of having parties or get togethers just for a gift grab?

because they like to take the fun and love out of everything? Wink

its just like tipping......want to give one, then give it.......dont want to give one, then dont give it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

On 9/22/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 9/22/2014 brii said:

Why is everybody always accusing people of having parties or get togethers just for a gift grab?

its just like tipping......want to give one, then give it.......dont want to give one, then dont give it.

Lot of cynical people, I guess.

Honored Contributor

On 9/21/2014 sunshine45 said:

my pediatrician never had a "3 month rule" and my children grew up very healthy..... we didnt stop anyone from coming to visit us and anyone who was sick waited until they were better. i also had no problems taking my children out after i was feeling better again. we had to go and sit in the pediatricians office for all of the scheduled visits and vaccinations and there were always sick kids sitting and waiting to see the doctor in the same small waiting room as the newborns.

I think this all depends on the individual baby. DD was a premature (1-1/2 mos.) twin, and left the hospital at 5 lbs. 1 oz. The neonatologist said NO contact with large groups of people until she was 3 mos. old. We couldn't even take my mom to the airport when she left (DH took her). We couldn't go out to church with her, or certainly not to any malls or restaurants. We did have to go in for weekly check ups at first, but we never waited in a room filled with other babies/children. So we stayed home. My friends came in - a few at a time, and they held her. When she was 3 mos. old, my friends had a shower for me. We sat in a circle, and she was right in the middle of it!

DS was born shortly after we moved, full term and healthy. At three WEEKS, he was in DD's teacher's arms surrounded by the rest of the class. They had each made a card for me when he was born.

So I think the "three month rule" should apply to some babies, but not all. I followed my doctor's advice. Smile

Honored Contributor

I don't agree with this, but it's probably just my age.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

I really do not believe this is a gift grab. We do this alot in our area and also call it a Sip & See. Usually a great time for the neighbors and friends to come vist and have a beverage of choice and see the new baby.

Trusted Contributor

The CDC doesn't say anything about the 3 month rule, but they do endorse proper immunizations upon handling a newborn. Apparently your friend and her daughter are not educated on the latest recommendations.
Honored Contributor

On 9/22/2014 brii said:
On 9/22/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 9/22/2014 brii said:

Lot of cynical people, I guess.

Because if these events aren't gift grabs it will say , "No gifts please." Easy peasy

Honored Contributor

On 9/22/2014 Ladybug724 said:

I'm picturing a baby wearing a ""Hello my name is.."" nametag standing with the door open meeting and greeting guests

That is SOOOO funny! With a bonnet on and a drink in its hand!

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/22/2014 k9buddy said: The CDC doesn't say anything about the 3 month rule, but they do endorse proper immunizations upon handling a newborn. Apparently your friend and her daughter are not educated on the latest recommendations.
You need to stop. No one who has a healthy full term baby is putting their new born at risk. For peets sake they aren't inviting people from third world countries over.
Trusted Contributor

If you have to live in a third world country to be exposed to disease, why do babies get immunized here in this country? Your logic is absurd. Whooping cough is prevalent in the US. I guess you know more than the CDC. You are giving irresponsible advice.