Trusted Contributor

Re: O/T - ""meet & greet"" new baby party. Is this something new?

It's not that a newborn can't be around people, but it's not a good idea to have the baby handled and kissed by numerous people who haven't had a flu shot or the proper immunizations. I would refuse the party invitation and ask to see the baby another time when it's visiting grandmom.
Valued Contributor

My first grandbaby just turned 8 yesterday and when he was a couple of weeks old, I hosted a "Welcome Elijah" party for him. I had given my daughter a shower before he was born, this was just a get together for everyone to meet the new baby and for grandma to show him off. Don't remember if there were any gifts, but I don't think so, I just invited immediate family, had a small cake and some snacks. Just a simple little get together to meet the baby. The only drawback was that grandma did not get a chance to hold her new grandson. When my daughter was born, almost 35 years ago, my husband planned a little welcome home party for us. She was a week old by the time I came home because she was a c-section and back then, they kept you a lot longer after surgery, but he had this little party the day we came home, it was just my parents and a few close neighbors, it was kind of nice to have everyone come at once for an hour and then I was able to just relax and take care of my new baby. And there were a few gifts but these were from people who had not been at the shower (with the exception of my mom). Could not believe my husband actually thought of it, he bought a bakery cake and had punch for us. Even decorations. It was all a surprise for me. So I don't think you need to take another gift unless you want to.

Honored Contributor

If I brought anything, it would be food, like a heat and serve item the new mother could throw in the oven and not have to worry about making dinner later that week.

Super Contributor

The parents are so elated ... they're not thinking straight. This is flu season, so for me, it's careless thinking. A friend of mine took her newborn to church 3 days after birth!

When I went to my last Christening, I was the only one without a gift (who knew?!?) so now I take one to avoid embarrassment ... but please new Moms ... can you just write "no gifts please" on your other invites since that is what the Baby Shower is for!

Esteemed Contributor

Now I remember something else. My niece and nephew are only a week apart with there birthdays. She was a week and a half when we had her big brothers three year old birthday party with tons of people over. Their birthdays are in the summer. I guess if no gifts are expected this could be a fun little party.
Respected Contributor

On 9/21/2014 beach-mom said:

This is a new one for me, but with the "baby s-e-x reveal party" (which I'm still not crazy about), the "baby naming," and all of the showers, I'm not surprised. It will probably grow in popularity here soon! Smile

Whaaaaat? Gifts, gifts and more gifts! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

On 9/22/2014 brii said:

I didn't stay home for 3 months either. That's ludicrous. LOL

We had a lot of company after coming home from the hospital. If anybody was sick, they stayed home and didn't come around a newborn.

It's actually nice to have a set time for people to come and see the new baby, IMO.

EXACTLY!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

On 9/22/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 9/22/2014 brii said:

I didn't stay home for 3 months either. That's ludicrous. LOL

We had a lot of company after coming home from the hospital. If anybody was sick, they stayed home and didn't come around a newborn.

It's actually nice to have a set time for people to come and see the new baby, IMO.

EXACTLY!

ITA For the first 6 months the baby is covered by the mother's immune system. She imparts her immunity to the baby, via her IgG and IgA. The baby will start making their own IgG at 6 months which is when vaccinations begin. This is why we schedule vaccinations as we do. A healthy and robust immune system is one that is exposed to various immunogens. Living in a germ free environment is not optimal.

Respected Contributor

Babies can't ""meet or greet"". It's kind o f a ridiculous premise and it does seem greedy. I would just go if you want to but take no gift. It's always funny that new parents think everyone they know wants to come out to look at their baby. I don't get it and I loved seeing my nieces and nephews but looking at other people's is boring.
Trusted Contributor

Pediatricians and the CDC recommends everyone being in close contact with a newborn baby should have a tdap shot. Who is the Tdap vaccine recommended for? The CDC recommends Tdap for: Pregnant women. The CDC recommends that women get Tdap during each pregnancy, preferably between 27 and 36 weeks' gestation, regardless of when they last had the shot. Children age 11 to 18 who have completed the DTaP vaccine series series. Adults 19 to 64. (If you plan to be around babies soon, it's best to get it at least two weeks beforehand.) Adults age 65 and older, if they plan to be around babies. If you've had a tetanus booster shot in the last few years, you may have already received the Tdap vaccine. (If you're not sure, check with your primary healthcare provider.) A word of warning: Anyone who's ever had a dangerous reaction to a tetanus, diphtheria, or pertussis vaccine should not get Tdap.