Super Contributor

Re: O/T - ""meet & greet"" new baby party. Is this something new?

On 9/24/2014 jewelfool said:

We call them "Sip and See" around here. For instance, if my son who lives out of the country has a new baby and they come to visit we would have a "Sip and See" for everyone come to meet the new baby. Because in this instance, they wouldn't be here to have a baby shower. My daughter who lives locally is expecting in February and I asked if she would rather have a baby shower or a "Sip and See" and she chose shower, but we wouldn't do both.

I've never heard of "Meet 'n Great" or "Sip 'n See" or what ever it's called, but I can see why anyone with a new baby who lives afar would like the opportunity to have a get together to see the new baby when in town. So your idea makes sense to me, jewelfool. But personally, I'd make phone calls and not make a big fuss (unless there was no shower to begin with because of the distance factor).

Honored Contributor

On 9/24/2014 ssssgirl said:
On 9/24/2014 Sooner said:
On 9/24/2014 LipstickDiva said:
On 9/23/2014 jmsmall said:

Seems like people do anything they can these days to get presents.

Did the invite SAY to bring a gift? I do not know why everyone is assuming that? I have been to 2 "meet the baby" parties (seems to be something new amoung young mothers) and neither was for gifts. They were a small get together for mom's friends to "MEET" the baby. friends often do not get to see each other much these days and it is hard to co-ordinate visits to see a new baby what with the busy lives we all have. Having a get together solves that problem. But again, NO gifts were exchanged, they were luncheons. I think it is a good idea, lets the new mom have a day of relaxing and visiting with friends while also spending time with baby.

What kind of invitation tells someone to bring a gift? I've never seen one. Even a wedding invitation doesn't tell someone specifically to bring a gift. You just know it's a gift giving situation.

I'm not sure what the intention is with these Sip & Sees. Some might really be just to invite people to come over to see the baby and some might be had because the new mom wants more gifts. I don't put anything past anyone anymore.

Being as these are rather new, people don't know whether it's a gifting situation or not.

Here is Ms Sooner's thoughtful answer to this: If you get an invitation to ANYTHING from the dog's birthday to a wedding, it means BRING ME A GIFT unless it says NO GIFTS PLEASE. There you have it.

What used to be a party to honor the guests is not so often an "Aren't I wonderful?" event all about the host.

WRONG!!! I send out invitations to parties AND do not expect a gift. Even if I write "no gifts please" (as for adult BD parties) some bring a gift. NEVER IS A GIFT EXPECTED. I, maybe I am in the minority, but I can BUY my own things and I actually LIKE the company of my friends without them having to bring a "gift" My parties are ABOUT my friends, not about "aren't I wonderful" Sad to me how some people think.

Sorry I suppose I wasn't clear, but my point is that people assume that unless an invitation says "No Gifts" that you should bring something. I wasn't saying the host EXPECTS is necessarily, but I think unless stated otherwise, people getting the invites ASSUME a gift is in order.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} got it. Unless it is a TRADITIONAL gift event (BD, Shower, retirement party, graduation, etc) I generally will just bring some flowers (plants are too much of a commitment if someone isn't into them)

When someone brings me a plant I am always tempted to say: "WHY THANK YOU! It's lovely! We'll be holding its wake in 3 weeks. Would you like to come?"

YEP!!! that is why I do not bring them as gifts. I kill my SILK plants!!!! And I will come to the wake, AND bring you a gift! (maybe another plant){#emotions_dlg.crying}

SURE you'll bring another plant 'cause you want another PARTY!!!! LOL!!!

Valued Contributor

On 9/24/2014 LipstickDiva said:
On 9/23/2014 jmsmall said:

Seems like people do anything they can these days to get presents.

Did the invite SAY to bring a gift? I do not know why everyone is assuming that? I have been to 2 "meet the baby" parties (seems to be something new amoung young mothers) and neither was for gifts. They were a small get together for mom's friends to "MEET" the baby. friends often do not get to see each other much these days and it is hard to co-ordinate visits to see a new baby what with the busy lives we all have. Having a get together solves that problem. But again, NO gifts were exchanged, they were luncheons. I think it is a good idea, lets the new mom have a day of relaxing and visiting with friends while also spending time with baby.

What kind of invitation tells someone to bring a gift? I've never seen one. Even a wedding invitation doesn't tell someone specifically to bring a gift. You just know it's a gift giving situation.

I'm not sure what the intention is with these Sip & Sees. Some might really be just to invite people to come over to see the baby and some might be had because the new mom wants more gifts. I don't put anything past anyone anymore.

Being as these are rather new, people don't know whether it's a gifting situation or not.

Here is Ms Sooner's thoughtful answer to this: If you get an invitation to ANYTHING from the dog's birthday to a wedding, it means BRING ME A GIFT unless it says NO GIFTS PLEASE. There you have it.

What used to be a party to honor the guests is not so often an "Aren't I wonderful?" event all about the host.

WRONG!!! I send out invitations to parties AND do not expect a gift. Even if I write "no gifts please" (as for adult BD parties) some bring a gift. NEVER IS A GIFT EXPECTED. I, maybe I am in the minority, but I can BUY my own things and I actually LIKE the company of my friends without them having to bring a "gift" My parties are ABOUT my friends, not about "aren't I wonderful" Sad to me how some people think.

Sorry I suppose I wasn't clear, but my point is that people assume that unless an invitation says "No Gifts" that you should bring something. I wasn't saying the host EXPECTS is necessarily, but I think unless stated otherwise, people getting the invites ASSUME a gift is in order.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} got it. Unless it is a TRADITIONAL gift event (BD, Shower, retirement party, graduation, etc) I generally will just bring some flowers (plants are too much of a commitment if someone isn't into them)

When someone brings me a plant I am always tempted to say: "WHY THANK YOU! It's lovely! We'll be holding its wake in 3 weeks. Would you like to come?"

YEP!!! that is why I do not bring them as gifts. I kill my SILK plants!!!! And I will come to the wake, AND bring you a gift! (maybe another plant){#emotions_dlg.crying}

SURE you'll bring another plant 'cause you want another PARTY!!!! LOL!!!

ABSOLUTELY!!!! BUT you will get ANOTHER GIFT!!!!