Super Contributor

Re: O/T do you like to iron?

No, I don't like to iron but occasionally it is required.......I would rather take a walk or read a book......
Trusted Contributor

I took my husband's shirts to the cleaners. They did a far better job than I ever did. I'd really like it if my washer didn 't twist the heck out of things. Maybe the wrinkles wouldn't be so bad. I hang some things to dry,but those wrinkles from the washer are permanent. Out comes the iron.
Trusted Contributor

Love to iron, there is something very pleasing about fresh ironed clothing hanging in your closet. I love to hang my clothes outside in the sun to dry too. I can't wear wrinkled clothing, I even put a crease in all my pants from slacks to capris' to jeans.

Valued Contributor

I DESPISE ironing. I never liked it and never will. I don't know why, but it just bothers me. Just the other night I was complaining to myself because I wanted to wear a certain shirt the next day and it needed to be ironed. Needless to say, I decided to wear something else just to avoid bringing out the iron and ironing board. LOL! One of the reasons I love Fall fashions is many of the heavier fabrics (especially sweaters) I just wash and hang dry.

Honored Contributor

I don't love to iron, but I don't hate it either. I would never leave my house wearing anything that is wrinkled.

I work with women who look like they slept in their clothes. My neighbor just bought new curtains and hung them right out of the package. You can see the fold lines from the steet. I am embarassed for them.

I don't have too many things to iron. Most of my clothing does not go into the dryer, I just hang or lay flat to dry.

I iron the hem on my topsheets, pillow cases and tablecloths and 100% cotton blouses and a few linen items in the summertime. I also iron my husbands shirts which isn't often, as he wears knit no iron shirts most of the time.

Ironing today is easy. I remember when you had to sprinkle clothing with water, roll it up and store in the fridge overnight then iron it damp. This was before "permanent press" fabrics and almost all clothing, including cotton undies had to be ironed. Ah...the good ol days!

Super Contributor

Iron? You've got to be kidding! The only time I iron is to press off a couple of things before going on vacation. Our new LG dryer does all of our ""ironing""!

Regular Contributor

Yes! You probably think I'm crazy, but I have always enjoyed ironing. I have a professional model Rowenta (that's what they called the bigger heavier one at that time) that I got from the Q about 25 years ago. It was the 2nd thing I ever bought from them, and I have been so impressed with Rowenta that I bought one to keep in my motorhome for when traveling stateside. That iron works just as good now as it did when I first got it.

I remember back when I was about 12-13 years old and my Nana had me ironing pillow cases and the such. I got tired so I dragged a chair over and sat down to iron. She had a hissy fit and said "Anne Mary I'm shocked! No one sits down to iron. Why you will never amount to anything if you have to sit down to iron!! Boy.....was she ever wrong!!! I'm 77 now and when I have lot to iron, I do sit down.......and enjoy enjoy ironing with my Rowenta!!

Honored Contributor

I think I have an iron......but haven't seen it in about 15 years.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I find it relaxing and therapeutic. I grew up in a large family so the ironing was done by the basket full on a Sunday afternoon/evening. I was usually the one inside ironing while my sisters were outside playing. I remember tons of cotton peter pan collar shirts. There were four girls all close in age so imagine the amount of blouses. No permanent press then either.

Super Contributor

WHEN NEEDED MY CLEANERS DOES MY PRESSING. ALWAYS LOOKS THE BEST WHEN THEY DO IT. I HAVE A BRAND NEW ROWENTA FROM ALMOST 17 YRS. AGO , JUST DO NOT LIKE IRONING .