Super Contributor

O/T a new family member is arriving!

We are adopting an adult female cat next week, and I have been reading up on acclimating, etc. I totally get the "safe room" concept, but we have a very open house. The only rooms with doors are my youngest DS' bedroom (in the basement) and the bathrooms. We are going to put the litter box and her food in the basement, but that half is very open. How important is it to keep her confined to one room her first week or so?

My son is on board with the adoption, and is willing to share the basement with her, but doesn't want her food or litter box in his bedroom.

Honored Contributor

Re: O/T a new family member is arriving!

Lucky Lu - congratulations on the new addition to your family. When I was growing up, we had a multi-cat household and I don't remember having a 'safe room'. We didn't toss the new cat in the mix and say, good luck with that Wink. We kept an eye on the interaction between the old and new cats.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

MANY BLESSINGS! We think that newbies are more comfortable in small spaces, so I'd suggest the bathroom. Buddie and Pollie join us in meowing "Welcome"!
Esteemed Contributor

Congrats to you! I am sure she will bring all of you much love!!!!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Super Contributor

Just a quick update:

Katie has been with us a little over three weeks. She disappeared for the first ten days, only coming out to eat/drink/use the litter box at night. She was tentative when she first ventured out, but we ignored her (kept talking to each other, so she would get to know our voices), and by day fourteen, she was hanging out in the living room with us.

She is now my lap cat, and I am thrilled. My DS took her to the vet this week, and everything came back good. She's behind on her shots, but we've made appointments to get them caught up next month.

Honored Contributor

What fun! Congrats and happy meows to you all!
Super Contributor

Congratulations, Ms Lucky Lu! Kiss

Esteemed Contributor

Wonderful news!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

I really can't blame your son for not wanting the food bowl or litter box in his bedroom.