Respected Contributor

Re: O/T: What IS your 'splurge' ??

Scott Toilet Paper (trying to save my septic tank)

Perked coffee, Columbian

Land of Lakes half & half

Sonic Care Toothbrush

Super Contributor

I just realized what my biggest splurge is - by far. Living in an apartment in Manhattan.

Contributor

dysport and travel

Honored Contributor

Name brand anything that touches my family's lips, stomach or vital organs, including medicine, food and facial tissue, toilet tissue. No generics. It may be made from the same manufacturing process but my conscience is clear and I know for a fact that none of the generics of my BP medicine reduces my blood pressure like the real deal, the name brand, so I assume the same with antibiotics, etc. I will pay extra if it matters for my health, that of my husband, my pets, etc.

Super Contributor

Dunkin Donuts ground coffee, ground bison meat, ground lamb, beef tenderloin steaks (when on sale), shiitake mushrooms, and Justin's Maple Almond Butter. Those are a few of my favorite splurges!

Trusted Contributor

I honestly try to get even "splurge" items on sale. For example, I stock up on premium coffee when my grocery has Gevalia (our fave) 2 for 1 or when I have great coupons. I love a good glass of wine but have found some very good and very reasonable grocery store labels. I like jewelry, but don't have a lot of really precious or high-end stuff -- and I usually buy it when Overstock.com has a sale on a line I like. I love fashion, but probably buy more clothing at Goodwill than anywhere else. I love the thrill of the hunt and enjoy finding great pieces (really!) for next to nothing.

My big splurges are once-in-a-blue-moon ocurrences. I recently spent $2000 on a gorgeous, signed American art pottery vase I found on Etsy.com. I had an almost-identical vase that came to us through family and was thrilled to happen upon its beautiful mate on Etsy. HAD to have it, and the pair looks fantastic flanking our fireplace! DH and I are talking about planning a European river cruise soon; that splurge will make some wonderful memories for us. I'd rather spend a lot on the occasional really spectacular find or experience -- not dribble my resources away on a string of overpriced purses, clothing, or makeup. My choice, my priorities.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/14/2014 Kathleen said:

I just realized what my biggest splurge is - by far. Living in an apartment in Manhattan.

Now, that's very cool, ultimate splurge!

There are a couple of answers here that are tasteless--KY jelly and tampons??? Come on, ladies. Is that necessary?

Occasional Contributor

Real Parmgiano Reggiano cheese. I could eat an entire wedge by myself!

Super Contributor

Six packs of cokes in glass bottles and room service when traveling.
Frequent Contributor

My car is a splurge. The dealership is like a salon.