Super Contributor

O/T Weight Loss and Shopping Your Closet vs Shopping the Stores

On 5/19/2012 magicmoodz said:

Lucky Lu ~ Congratulations on your weight loss! Isn't it a great feeling? You must celebrate this victory -- it is what will keep you going.

How did you do it? I just started eating healthy and found that psychologically I feel so much better being in control of what I put in my mouth.

As I am now in control of what I eat, that control has spilled over to how I feel about how I look in my clothes. I truly do have a pretty sparse wardrobe, but, again, I feel more in control. I really do have needs and am no longer feeding the "want".

Thank you, magicmoodz!

I didn't want to hijack the original thread, so I thought I'd start a new one.

I visited a dietician, and she gave me a few guidelines. I don't think of it as a diet, but as a new menu/way of life. I do splurge occasionally, and have one small treat a day, such as a small piece of dark chocolate. I read that telling yourself you'll eat it "later" helps to fight cravings, and that has really worked for me. I've also stopped mindlessly eating. I buy single serving snack foods, rather than the family size bag, which is a godsend for portion control. (I have found that I can ignore the junk food in the pantry, but if there's none in the house, I go crazy. So, I keep a few single-serve packs of my favorites.) If there's one rule I live by, it's "If you bite, you write." I write down everything I eat, no matter how little. I had been on weight watchers dot com, but I've since moved to a free site, and have been very happy with it.