Honored Contributor

Re: O/T: Things our mothers did that we don't - fashion and otherwise.

On 8/8/2014 moonstone dunes said:

SPOOLIES!

Oh dear.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

People in her generation smoked but my mother's rule was "Ladies never smoke in public". She smoked a pack a day when I was young but NEVER outside of our home.

Never give money as a gift. Excluding close family members, it's still hard for me to give cash or gift cards as gifts. Even though I know it's okay.

You don't discuss personal finances with people you aren't close to. To this day, I'm always thrown off guard when people ask me how much I make, how much we paid for our home, how much our car costs, how are investments are doing. I don't do that.

Never discuss politics or money in a social setting.

When you go into the city to shop or to the theatre; you always dress up. She would say, dress like you are going to church. And we did not wear pants to church!

Never ask people where they immigrated from and if someone speaks with an accent do not bring it to their attention. We were supposed to pretend that we understood them to avoid embarrasing them...lol

Ladies should avoid the sun. My mom really did believe that tanning was unfeminine and for the "lower classes". So, we'd spend the summer on the The Vineyard and she and my aunts would only walk on the beach after the sun went down. They spent the day lounging on the porch in caftans and gorgeous head wraps, with huge sunglasses. Smoking cigarettes and drinking lemonade (well, they said it was lemonade) from chrystal glasses. They looked like movie stars from the 40's.

Honored Contributor

I do not wear thigh highs or knee his. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

I also do not wear ear muffs. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I do wear white shoes in the summer, which my mother would not wear ever.

Honored Contributor

On 8/8/2014 chrystaltree said:

People in her generation smoked but my mother's rule was "Ladies never smoke in public". She smoked a pack a day when I was young but NEVER outside of our home.

Never give money as a gift. Excluding close family members, it's still hard for me to give cash or gift cards as gifts. Even though I know it's okay.

You don't discuss personal finances with people you aren't close to. To this day, I'm always thrown off guard when people ask me how much I make, how much we paid for our home, how much our car costs, how are investments are doing. I don't do that.

Never discuss politics or money in a social setting.

When you go into the city to shop or to the theatre; you always dress up. She would say, dress like you are going to church. And we did not wear pants to church!

Never ask people where they immigrated from and if someone speaks with an accent do not bring it to their attention. We were supposed to pretend that we understood them to avoid embarrasing them...lol

Ladies should avoid the sun. My mom really did believe that tanning was unfeminine and for the "lower classes". So, we'd spend the summer on the The Vineyard and she and my aunts would only walk on the beach after the sun went down. They spent the day lounging on the porch in caftans and gorgeous head wraps, with huge sunglasses. Smoking cigarettes and drinking lemonade (well, they said it was lemonade) from chrystal glasses. They looked like movie stars from the 40's.

Or religion!

"To each their own, in all things".
Super Contributor

Fashion-wise I can't think of anything, my mother changed fashions with the times.

I try to learn new things and try new recipes, keep up with technology. My mother lives in 1954, the year my parents were married. She does enjoy her flat screen TV though.

Respected Contributor

In the summertime, my mom, before knee-hi stockings came into being, used to roll her stockings down to just below her knees and then pull the top out twist it to tighten to her leg and tuck that twisted lump into the top to hold in place. He skirts/dresses of course were long enough to cover them.

Mom went to the hairdresser once a week, and never ever learned how to do her own hair.

Respected Contributor

I remember being mesmerized by watching my mother blot her lipstick on a tissue. I've never in my life done that.

Of course, the classics, white shoes from Memorial to Labor Day ONLY. Match your shoes to your handbag, belt, other leather. Match your metals in jewelry, i.e. all gold or all silver.

Respected Contributor

Nylons.

Valued Contributor

No matter what my mother did, said or wore, it was always with an eye on what other people would think and it's that which sets us apart. For my mom it was less about the times she lived in and more about her own insecurities but I did not follow in those same footsteps, I do what I like to do, wear what I like to wear and say what's on my mind.

Therein lies the biggest difference in what she did and what I do...nothing specific but a difference in the general rules by which each of us lived.

Maria

Super Contributor

Gee it was fun seeing those spoolies again.

Thanks for the pictures!!