Honored Contributor

Re: O/T PBS Miniseries: What are your favorites?

@sunshine 919 wrote:

I just started watching Poldark.  I am hooked.  Love it.Smiley Happy  Good Question.

I am enjoying the series very much.  So much so that I plan to read Winston Graham's first book on the Poldarks, plus watch the first versionCat LOL

Honored Contributor

@HiLo wrote:

Jewel in the Crown taught me a lot about India during the 2nd WW when it was a British colony.  I am also enjoying The Scarlet Field which is now being programmed.

I also liked the version of Pride and Prejudice featuring Colin Firth.  His character was most realistic.

Actually, can't think of a British production I haven't enjoyed.

Shoekitty says,

Hilo, oh woww!  I loved jewel in the Crown.  I remember watching it when it first came out in the early 1980's.  I could hardly wait for the days to pass to see it again.

Trusted Contributor

Right now I am watching Poldark and Last Tango in Halifax. Love them both! Are they my favorites? Probably not, but I'm not sure I could pick just one anyway. 

Valued Contributor

Thank goodness for PBS & their mini series and on going series. TV is falling further every year into an abyss of mediocrity. im also watching Poldark and, enjoy it very much. The lead actor has been in a couple series on BBC and is brilliant. I'm also watching Crimson Field~it comes on right after Poldark.
I basically love all the Masterpiece selections. Their is another one called Birdsong, about WWI, it can be seen in 4 one hour programs and 2 two hour programs. I can't pick a favourite because they are all exceptional.
Then there is Nova, Free People's, Earth; and I love learning from all of those.
I miss Sherlock...there are always rumors that new episodes are coming but, I think BC has moved on.
Respected Contributor

Currently Downton Abbey . I like to binge watch when Amazon puts it on free to Prime members , so I just finished season 5. I had a good cry watching the Christmas one where Tom was departing.

After reading these post  I may check out Mr. Selfridge and start from the beginning.

DH and I have watched past series several times over like  Rumpole ( We haven't been able to find a free place to watch it lately),

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

I just started watching Poldark.  I am hooked.  Love it.Smiley Happy  Good Question.

I am enjoying the series very much.  So much so that I plan to read Winston Graham's first book on the Poldarks, plus watch the first versionCat LOL

Shoekitty asks:

Can either of you discribe the series Poldark, and why you love it?  Also, when do you watch it on PBS?  I am in California and have DISH.  Thanks

Trusted Contributor

Forsythe Saga (with Damian Lewis) was excellent - so engrossing and well acted. The Lost Prince and Bleak House and a mini-series about Queen Elizabeth I (starring Anne-Marie Duff, my favorite actress) also stand out to me. And most of the mysteries are superb. Currently I am watching Crimson Fields and Poldark now that Mr. selfridge and Call the Midwife have wound up for now. Love PBS dramas.
Super Contributor

I've really enjoyed most of them, but my absolute faves have been the oldies but goodies, like Elizabeth R (Glenda Jackson as Elizabeth I), The Flame Trees of Thika, The Six Wives of Henry VIII (Keith Mitchell), Rumpole of the Bailey (with She Who Must Be Obeyed), Edward and Mrs. Simpson, etc., such great programs!!!
Honored Contributor

I love Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, Mr. and Mrs. Murder, Downton Abbey, Murder in Paradise, Last Tango in Halifax, Rosemary & Thyme, Miss Marple, the Sherlock Holmes older ones.  I'm sure there are more.

I also loved The Great British Baking Show, although it's not a  miniseries in the traditional sense.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

Big Downtown Abbey fan.  A Place To Call Home has become my new addiction.  New (3rd) season to start later this year.