Trusted Contributor

Re: O/T My sister sent me this list of ""senior"" discounts for age 50 and over.

It may be that you have plenty of money and don't need discounts, but there are many more of us who are struggling and need to save wherever we can.

Super Contributor

Re: O/T My sister sent me this list of ""senior"" discounts for age 50 and over.

Goodwill offers a 10% discount for seniors. They never ask to see your license. Just tell them that you a senior.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/7/2014 BLH said:
On 3/7/2014 momcat said:

I've never understood the point of "senior" discounts. I saw a saying the other day posted by a young person who thought it was silly to give people who have had so much more time to accumulate wealth a discount. Good point! Many of us have so much more money than these young people will ever have in their lifetime. Sad.

I agree with you 100%.

It is a marketing technique to get people into their store or restaurant. If the Krogers give me a 5% discount why would I go to Food City that doesn't give me one unless their food was significantly cheaper which it isn't.

I am fortunate enough not to need a discount but a lot of seniors aren't that fortunate. However, if a business wants to offer a discount, why not take it if you qualify? If you were walking into a restaurant and someone was distributing $5 bills to everyone who entered would you turn it down? Do you turn down the buy more and save discount here at QVC?

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2014 momcat said:

I've never understood the point of "senior" discounts. I saw a saying the other day posted by a young person who thought it was silly to give people who have had so much more time to accumulate wealth a discount. Good point! Many of us have so much more money than these young people will ever have in their lifetime. Sad.

That young person has no idea of what they're talking about. The reality is that the vast majority of senior citizens have not accumulated wealth. And since the days of pensions are pretty much gone and folks have had to raid their IRAs to get through the downturn, they have little or no savings and many rely almost solely on Social Security. A 2012 report by The Schwartz Center for Economic Policy found that in 2011, 75 percent of workers between the ages of 50 and 64 had less than $30,000 in their retirement accounts.

If you have more money "than these young people will ever have in their lifetime" you are fortunate indeed. Most seniors are not.

Respected Contributor

On 3/7/2014 SailAway said:

Publix does give a discount on Wednesday but it's 5%, not 15%. Kroger does the same. Just remember to ask.

FWIW, Publix does not offer a senior discount in FL. Guess there are too many of us down here! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Denise
Honored Contributor

Walgreen's in our area varies the day. I am too far away to get the flyer, so if I don't read it on this board I don't know about it. Our Wendy's gives free senior coffee with any purchase, even the cheap French fries and hamburgs.

Esteemed Contributor

My son couldn't wait-he turned 55 this year. Goodwill everyday here 10% with ID. Salvation Army -Tuesday nights and sometimes 50% end of month. Didn't know about the fast food places. Will ask about Albertsons grocers.

Esteemed Contributor

My son couldn't wait-he turned 55 this year. Goodwill everyday here 10% with ID. Salvation Army -Tuesday nights and sometimes 50% end of month. Didn't know about the fast food places. Will ask about Albertsons grocers.

Super Contributor

Dennys with AARP, 99 cent coffee for entire party and 20% off after 4pm and Dunkin Donuts, 10% off or free donut with AARP card.

Honored Contributor

Subway is same way.

NO discount at our Subway's because they are independently owned.

I have heard of discounts at Kmart but not 40%, was told in my area it is 10-15%.