Super Contributor

Re: O/T My sister sent me this list of ""senior"" discounts for age 50 and over.

do they ask for ID? Just wondered as what if you were say 59 and they said the age for discount was 65. If you told them you were a senior....would they just take your word or ask for ID? That would be funny it someone asked to see if you were old enough!

Honored Contributor

Re: O/T My sister sent me this list of ""senior"" discounts for age 50 and over.

On 3/7/2014 kachina624 said: Just try to get a "Golden Apple" card at Applebee's. I got one at our local restaurant and when I tried to use it out of the area, it was such an oddity that the employees passed it around. I imagine that's because most Applebee's are franchises. The store where I got it was a training, company-owned store.

My MIL got an Applebee's gift card from her granddaughter & when they ate it Applebee's they would not accept it because it was not bought here. She bought the card in CA where she lives & we live in another state.

{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Respected Contributor

On 3/7/2014 JamicaJammer said:

Wait - 30% off at BIG LOTS????? I'm gonna call them - I don't think that's correct.

The Big Lots near me doesn't offer any discounts to Seniors I called today.

Honored Contributor

On 3/7/2014 Raider Fan said:

I feel like I should answer this because my DH and I are obviously into our Sr. years and yet we have never asked for a discount. Should we do it at every place we dine and shop? Why not? My real question is...when we are dining and the wait staff knows we are seniors should they tell us or are they waiting for us to ask them? I think I answered my own question since we have never gotten a senior discount anywhere. By the way, 50 is way too young to ask for a discount. My kids are all around 50, over and under. {#emotions_dlg.w00t} {#emotions_dlg.w00t} {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

I know when DH & some guys ate breakfast at IHOP before work the waitress asked them. I don't think you should have to ask. Maybe they don't want to ask in case they ask someone if they want the discount if they are not a senior citizen yet. They have asked my DH that for years before he was old enough when we checked into hotels. LOL!!! His hair turned white when he was early 40's. The hair color made him look older then his age. If they don't ask I would just ask them. Every penny saved adds up.

Smile

Trusted Contributor

You do need a card at Walgreens like most of the customer cards they are free and there are various rewards depending on what you buy. They also send out an email regarding their senior day which I think is just once a month.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/7/2014 Butterfly12 said:
On 3/7/2014 JamicaJammer said:

Wait - 30% off at BIG LOTS????? I'm gonna call them - I don't think that's correct.

The Big Lots near me doesn't offer any discounts to Seniors I called today.

The Big Lots in our area gives 20% off ususally about once a quarter but that 20% off is to all customers on just one designated day. The night before people with Big Lots rewards card can get the 20% discount early and then everyone is eligible the next day. They just held one a couple of weeks ago.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/7/2014 gazelle77 said:

do they ask for ID? Just wondered as what if you were say 59 and they said the age for discount was 65. If you told them you were a senior....would they just take your word or ask for ID? That would be funny it someone asked to see if you were old enough!

The cashier at my Krogers asked to see my ID because she thought I did not qualify but I did so I got the 5% discount they offer on Weds. I think it is for 60 and over at out local Kroger. I imagine different stores have different policies but would likely ask if they thought the person looked younger.

Valued Contributor

I'm 56 and have never asked for a discount anywhere. I'm not sure if I would be embarrased or not. I guess for some people, it's a necessity, but if I couldn't afford to go out to eat I certainly wouldn't go. I guess some larger companies can take the loss. I work for an optometrist in a small rural community where most people have very good insurance, but if they do have a balance, then they want a discount. Of course the doctor doesn't get the total price from insurance companies, he has to accept what they give him. He doesn't have to participate in insurance companies, but mostly everyone here has good insurance and people go where their insurance is accepted. When they ask for an additional discount, the doctor says that he doesn't get a discount when he buys the materials. He has to pay full price. He loses money by taking the insurance and then people want an additional discount. Unreal.

Respected Contributor

I've never understood the point of ""senior"" discounts. I saw a saying the other day posted by a young person who thought it was silly to give people who have had so much more time to accumulate wealth a discount. Good point! Many of us have so much more money than these young people will ever have in their lifetime. Sad.

Valued Contributor

On 3/7/2014 momcat said:

I've never understood the point of ""senior"" discounts. I saw a saying the other day posted by a young person who thought it was silly to give people who have had so much more time to accumulate wealth a discount. Good point! Many of us have so much more money than these young people will ever have in their lifetime. Sad.

I agree with you 100%.