Respected Contributor

Re: O/T Lovely Ladies, PLEASE be careful!

As an older person I know that there are lots of things I shouldn't do any more. One of them is definitely escalators. Actually I've never liked them very much. Thank you for the reminder - a good things to remember and be reminded about sometimes. I'll be careful.

Honored Contributor

When I was a teen, my grandfather fell getting off the escalator at the mall and broke his hip. Because of that, I've always been extra cautious on them. Two weeks ago I was at the Detroit airport and an elderly lady fell at the end of a moving escalator. She appeared to be alone and was being treated by the paramedics. I don't think people pay attention to their footing when on them.
Respected Contributor

Agree with millieshops re: going up is easier than down on escalators. When in FL at Dillard's, I tried the down escalator whose sides are clear glass or plastic. It seems that it's higher than normal ones and I just can't use it. I've bee on an esc. Where some has fallen at the bottom while I'm up at the top and it's extremely frightening. A while back I had to wear a toe - to - kneecap immobilizer boot. Without thinking, I started for a very narrow escalator and when I was standing looking down I realized I wouldn't be able to balance myself. Thank goodness DH saw me and pulled me back. Very shaken: now I think seriously before getting on any escalator because breaking a hip at 70 isn't for me.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Just not for the individual but also for the baby strollers!

My mall-of-choice, Willow Bend, has signs posted everywhere..on the escalator, on posts in front of the escalator..everywhere...and sure-as-sheet, some mommy will precariously balance her newborn in a stroller on the escalator.

One time I saw a stroller slip..it was only for one step (those steps are big!), but scary the same. Why do they do that?