Contributor

O/T If you are familiar with downtown Minneapolis....

I will be visiting downtown Minneapolis soon, just for one day.  I'm planning to see a performance at the Guthrie Theater in the early afternoon, but I'm seeking recommendations for other things to do or see in the downtown area, along with restaurant recommendations.  (I like every kind of food!)  If it rains, I may be relegated to the skywalk system, but I understand there are lots of shops and restaurants there, too.   Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Respected Contributor

Re: O/T If you are familiar with downtown Minneapolis....

I have lived in the cities for many years. Nicollet mall is prett in the summer...you can walk a few blocks to the river where there is a nice walking path and benches to sit on. There are places to eat in the warehouse district which is just a couple of blocks north of Hennepin ave. the Walker is a nice art museum of contemporary art but requires a short cab ride.

Downtown is pretty safe but check with your hotel for places to avoid. Enjoy the Guthrie..it is fabulous.

i would also recommend uptown..Hennepin and lake has nice shops and interesting restaurants but requires a cab ride.

Enjoy..minneapolis is a pretty city.

Valued Contributor

If you don't already have your hotel, I recommend the Graves. Unique, beautiful, great staff, and the most comfortable beds EVER!!!

Trusted Contributor

If you like steak, I recommend The Capital Grille on Hennepin Ave.  The waiter recommended that we share dishes and it was wonderful. 

Valued Contributor

Welcome to my town! Minneapolis is beautiful in the spring and summer, and the Guthrie won't disappoint.  All the other suggestions are good, but be aware that the Guthrie is not near downtown or the skyways. You have to cab there, and  unless your hotel is downtown the skyways only link the city's buildings.

Have a great time, but of course use the caution you would in any big city if you're out at night.

New Contributor

For a restaurant recommendation I suggest the Monte Carlo on 3rd Ave.  It is old school classy and not overpriced. 

www.montecarlomn.com

If you were going to be here longer I would also suggest the Minneapolis Institute of Art - they have some wonderful masterpieces. 

Hope you enjoy your visit to our city!