Trusted Contributor

O/T I Keep Noticing...

[ Edited ]

... How so many men these days use the word, LOVE, when referring to objects, the behavior of others, etc.  It once was that men typically used the word, LOVE, by saying, "I LOVE YOU" to their girlfriends or wives.  To use it in reference to anything else was considered unmasculine.  Wondering if women's desires to have men express their feelings contributed to this.  It jumps out at me each time I hear it.  How about you??

Honored Contributor

I've never heard this before.

When people say that expressing love isn't masculine, they usually mean expressing vulnerability or being emotionally open isn't masculine. Loving a thing doesn't leave one open or vulnerable, so there's no risk of seeming less masculine by expressing love for a thing.  Loving things and loving people are very different.

And, as far as I'm concerned, anyone who says that expressing love isn't masculine is doing both men and women a huge disservice. That's an idea that needs to be put away and never taken out again. Too many wives and children were left feeling unloved and too many men were left with only a cold stoicism when men were told that expressing love was somehow unacceptable for men. I completely reject the idea that expressing love isn't masculine. Love a human emotion, not a female emotion.

Valued Contributor

Love can be a noun or a verb.  I confess I am a male and I do say at times I love that Harley that just passed me (as an example).   I just looked up the definition and it is politically correct to use it in that manner. 

If it offends some, that is not the intent at all  and I apologize.  We grow up hearing the word as a method of conveying pleasure gained from not only a person but an object or even a act by another person that is not relationship related.  Such as I love that Jane Doe volunteers at the Animal Shelter every Saturday.   

With this said, i hope some people "love" my post. Man Wink

Trusted Contributor
I have noticed and think it's great!