Valued Contributor

Re: O/T: Do you find the evening news to be overwhelming?

I prefer to be informed about events in the world, not yelled at or patronized by "news people". Notice I don't even call them reporters, because there is very little reporting and a whole lot of opinions & speculations. Therefore, I find myself reading the economist online; viewing the headlines online; checking out the BBC; and watching CSpan some of the time. Fortunately, we have numerous ways to be informed and make decisions.
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/26/2014 Raider Fan said:

I am a news junkie. I want to know everything that is going on. How can you not? Please become informed. Too much news is NOT bad for your health, it is in YOUR interest that you know what is happening in the world, especially now that Russia is the GeoPolitical threat a lot of us knew. Gosh, don't hide from the news. This upsets me that some of you are not watching, not listening. You just have to become informed. Girls...pay attention, what happens in the world is important!!!

I so agree with you! I don't know how anybody can live with their heads in the sand and not know what's going on in the world.
Trusted Contributor

If you suffer from anxiety or depression doctors will tell you not to watch the news. It's the same thing going on every day/night, just happens to different people and in different parts of the country. I also think the media is the ruination of this country, gives too many psychos out there ideas.
Honored Contributor

I check out news headlines on the web, but don't watch news programming, you know, where they repeat the same story into oblivion and slant it as they wish... If an item interests me, I'll go for more detail. Most newspapers too have become so opinionated and so meager I personally find them to be almost obsolete.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I try to keep informed about what's going on locally and globally; however, I don't stay tuned or read all day long unless there's something catastrophic or something that interests/involves me personally.

Locally last week there were at least three stories involving the horrific deaths of babies/toddlers. It's difficult to watch these details on the 10P news and then go to bed hoping to get some sleep.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

I do watch/listen to the morning and evening news programs whenever possible. I am interested in what is happening both locally and internationally. All of this affects our lives in some manner.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

On 3/26/2014 Raider Fan said:

I am a news junkie. I want to know everything that is going on. How can you not? Please become informed. Too much news is NOT bad for your health, it is in YOUR interest that you know what is happening in the world, especially now that Russia is the GeoPolitical threat a lot of us knew. Gosh, don't hide from the news. This upsets me that some of you are not watching, not listening. You just have to become informed. Girls...pay attention, what happens in the world is important!!!

Oh, puleese. They repeat the same stuff all day long, ad nauseum. Watching it once a day is enough, unless there is some sort of breaking story.

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine watching Fox OR CNN all day like some people do. Both have an agenda and neither provide much "news." Neither do the evening "news" shows--IF you watch them closely and think about it they have a little news at the front of the show then fill it up with meaningless "feel good" pieces about kids, dogs, or other items made to draw in the viewer's emotions, not educate or inform them about anything.

They are a total waste of time. I watch the first 20 minutes of one of them (usually CBS) and then go to something else or start supper.

And by the way, I think mostly "old" people read the paper. I tell my hubby that. He reads the paper. LOL!!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Every evening while we eat dinner we watch the local news , then I watch the national news for a half hour at 6:30. I really find that is a sufficient amount of time spent on the depressing facts of the day. The local news is on for an hour and a half - at least an hour of that is commercials and the rest is a few stories repeated over and over. there are always the pervert stories - my DH call them the "zipper down" segments.
Super Contributor

I stopped watching TV news back during the Bill&Hill administration - because of media bias and shouting talking heads.