Regular Contributor

Re: O/T. Do customer reviews sway your thinking......

Hello, I do read the reviews, but if I really want the item, then no it is not going to be the deciding factor. I have had it go both ways, received a belt that was described as being shabby and falling apart-- it was. I have also gone against reviews and been pleasantly surprised. I feel that some use the reviews to vent their frustrations with the vendors -- not enough cotton, boot cut, and straight leg, too long. These to me are not reviews of the product, they belong somewhere else. Case in point the How Smooth Jeans, I understand some really wanted them to be boot cut, if you read the reviews they are some that I don't believe even ordered the item, they just gave it low marks due to it not being what they had ordered before, and were perceived to have been changed by the Q. I got them and they are the best, but I wasn't waiting for them to come back in stock -- I can see why some were frustrated, and QVC should have been more specific and told the ladies, your boot cut pants are coming we didn't change them, we have a straight leg version that is coming out for spring summer, your boot cut is coming later in the year. That was not made clear. Anyway the reviews have their place, I do look at them, but I have learned to dig deeper for my own satisfaction. Have you noticed that they have now added the question about have you purchased an item? Perhaps they will share this info with us when the reviews are posted. Oh to be clear, I don’t mind when someone says please re-order or you have been out of these for like forever—this tells me they are well received and a customer favorite—now the question is do the folks that write this --- do you give it 1 or 5 stars? You could be driving down the average of your favorite product.

Honored Contributor

So do, some don't.

I find some helpful when I'm wondering about a color or if something runs large, etc. Vague comments about things looking ugly don't sway me. It is all in the details of the review.

Esteemed Contributor

I like to read all reviews.....then take in consideration what was said....especially if there are more bad reviews then good....I, also, make sure the person has actually bought and used the product.....(wish that was screened better by the q...)

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the reviews are a big part of my decision buying. But I do often buy when I see something presented on TV. Then the next day I look for reviews. If they are really bad, then I cancel the order. I have liked some items that got bad reviews later. But if I like it, then I of course keep it. If it is an item that I have received and I am on the fence about it, sometimes the bad reviews will sway me to return it. That just happened recently as a matter of fact. I appreciate all the honest reviews and try to be an accurate reviewer myself.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

I read all reviews and leave reviews for products bought. I am very careful. Sometimes bad reviews work and I have found they usually are correct. I pay close attention to size, fit and value. I also read the questions asked. Often I have the same question. Also I am careful about answering. But I always read and if possible answer the questions. I also do not leave reviews for products I do not own. I think it was a smart move to add that question - do you own this product. If QVC ever decided to remove the assistance of reviews and questions, I think their business would suffer a dramatic loss. I also think the forums are helpful. I read on this forum several problem solving posts.

Super Contributor

No. I don't read customer reviews before I buy things.

Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely - have gotten burned when I didn't. I don't buy QVC clothing anymore but in the past I followed the host bragging how she had this blouse - loved it - but she didn't add what a b*t*h it was to iron. Bought two of them at same time - threw both away at the same time too.

Valued Contributor

All the time - and not just on the ""Q"". I also make sure the item reviewed has actually been purchased by the reviewer. I tend NOT to buy new items on air because there are no reviews yet and will wait for the item to sell out and put it on waitlist. If the item gets lousy reviews I cancel my waitlist. Shipping has gotten too expensive for returning items that are not well made.

Frequent Contributor

Yes, it does. I try to ready all reviews and for the most part, if anything has less than 4 stars, I won't buy it.

Honored Contributor

I do read the reviews and they sometimes stop me from buying an item. You have to shift through the complaints or praise because everyone has an opinion. If there are a majority of negative reviews, of course I won't buy. It all depends on what is said, the content of the review.