Respected Contributor

Re: O/T. Do customer reviews sway your thinking......

Don't read individual reviews, unless there are just a few. I do look at the average rating. I have almost purchased things, then saw that the average ranking was quite low, and changed my mind.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Only if the reviews are overwhelmingly positive or negative. There will always be a few negative reviews for every product, so if there's only a few here and there, it doesn't affect my buying decision.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Absolutely!! I read them, if too bad, I don't buy. But I don't go by the % part since it fits only 1 way on the question that you'd recommend it. I look at stars and read what they say.

Occasional Contributor

A definite yes from me, too. I always go to the negative comments. If there are enough of them and most mention something that would bother me, I pass. Case in point: I checked the comments on another channel about sheets being thin. Sheets have to be washed too many times!!

Honored Contributor

Rarely. I hardly ever read them and depend on them even less for my purchase. Unless there are 100's of reviews that say the item is horrible, fell apart, etc., I decide on my own if I want something. Reviews are extremely subjective and are nothing more than an opinion of the item.

Regular Contributor

They do, if they are overwhelmingly one way or the other. But I take them very seriously. If 50 people say a zipper is defective, I won't buy!

And I'm always looking for specific fit info relating to my type of figure. When people describe themselves as pear shaped, I pay special attention. I also appreciate when people tell us what their B&M size is, or their usual size for the particular vendor, etc.

Honored Contributor

I do read reviews on some items. Generally on clothing I want to know specifics about fit, etc. I like honest reviews. On items where there are very few reviews and all wonderful I just discount them.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I read the reviews, & they sometimes effect my buying...but not always. If reviews consistently say things like the item fades or shrinks after washing, I'll make a note of that.

The reviews I disregard are about sleeve, hem, or pant lengths being too long. Come on, really? Some people say the item is beautifully made, then give it 1 or 2 stars because it doesn't fit them exactly on a particular part of their body. Thats what tailoring is for.

Honored Contributor

Nope, almost never. So many of the reviews are just personal opinions or the customers sizing problems. They have nothing to do with the item itself. I have little faith in what people I don't know say about things. Take this board. Ask 5 posters about one particular item and you will get 5 completely different opinions. I do occasionally take a quick look just see how many stars something has. If there are a ton of reviews and and it's a one or two star item, that does make me think before I buy.

Super Contributor

If the majority of reviews are bad, I take it under consideration, mostly for items other than clothes though. If an appliance gets mainly bad reviews, I probably wouldn't buy it from QVC, but might try it at a nearby store for an easy return. For clothing, it depends, I usually take a chance if I like it because as others said, those reviews are so subjective especially size issues. I see reviewers saying they're 50 lbs. heavier than me, but that they're wearing sizes two smaller than I would ever consider and it fits them perfectly, ha, ha.