Super Contributor
On 11/25/2014 JustJazzmom said:
On 11/25/2014 ury said:

I share an office suite with a young lady who begins listening to Christmas music on Pandora, right after Halloween. When she starts this, I call her Noel. She told me this week her baby's middle name will be Noel if it's a girl. Due in May. Gotta think of a guy's Christmas name! Balthasar, perhaps? Gaspar?

I worked seasonal retail for years when we had kids at home. There's some great Christmas songs out there, but some I just can't listen to - overkill during retail days.

Actually for a girl its spelled Noelle and for a boy its Noel.

Holly Noelle is a nice combination too.

Seriously? I have two friends named Noel (that spelling) and they're both female. And a previous co-worker, same thing.

I don't think I've even heard of a male named Noel.......that would be like putting a target on the kid!

Honored Contributor
On 11/25/2014 PKB said:
On 11/25/2014 ury said:

I share an office suite with a young lady who begins listening to Christmas music on Pandora, right after Halloween. When she starts this, I call her Noel. She told me this week her baby's middle name will be Noel if it's a girl. Due in May. Gotta think of a guy's Christmas name! Balthasar, perhaps? Gaspar?

I worked seasonal retail for years when we had kids at home. There's some great Christmas songs out there, but some I just can't listen to - overkill during retail days.

Seriously? I have two friends named Noel (that spelling) and they're both female. And a previous co-worker, same thing.

I don't think I've even heard of a male named Noel.......that would be like putting a target on the kid!

For boys it is pronounced NO-ul. Not "no EL"

Esteemed Contributor

In my world there is no such thing as too much Christmas music. I have already taken my regular music sd card out of my music player and replaced with an all Christmas one. For the past week -- even at home -- my music playlist has been 80% Christmas.

My taste ranges from hot rocking classics such as Chuck Berry's Run Run Rudolph to opera diva Jessye Norman singing hymns.

Honored Contributor

How much really depends on what kind of Christmas music it is and the variety. My old office piped music in and the system played music over the holidays. Hearing the same songs over and over is not fun and I want variety. (Halloween waas the worst! There are NOT a lot of Halloween-themed songs, so it would play those few over and over... and over... and over. Terrible!)

I really like the holiday compilation albums Starbucks sells every year. They've had some really good ones with jazz or artists from the 50s or 60s.

Respected Contributor
On 11/26/2014 Sooner said:
On 11/25/2014 PKB said:
On 11/25/2014 ury said:

For boys it is pronounced NO-ul. Not "no EL"

I used to work with a woman whose husband's name is Noel. It was pronounced similarly to how you've mentioned (No-ul), but a lot of people would just pronounce it as "Nole" (maybe due to a regional dialect). Anyway, I always thought it was a nice name for a guy.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

I leave radios on for my birds - both tuned to the same station. I was surprised that the 24/7 Christmas music started today.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Occasional Contributor

I love Christmas music, but get sick of the same songs that the radio plays over and over. I have a ridiculous number of Christmas CD's and mostly listen to those. I try to find something new to add to my collection every year. This year I bought Idina Menzel's Christmas album, and also CeeLo (which is surprisingly good!).

Super Contributor
On 11/25/2014 LImom said: I love the older Christmas music. If I never have to hear Bruce Springsteen screaming ever again I will be happy.
Santa Clause Is Coming To Town by The Boss is my favorite Christmas song!
Valued Contributor
On 11/25/2014 optio100 said:

Not only do I love Christmas and Christmas music, but I particularly love choral music in all its rich glory! In fact, I have the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's performance with Renee Fleming saved on my dvr to watch when the mood strikes me. What a performance!

Well sung choral Christmas music and hymn's seem to be disappearing in time, one more cultural accomplishment that just isn't important or viscerally attractive to most people today.

Oh, I don't know, I think there are still quite a few folks (myself included) that like the old music sung this way. My favorite album is Carols for Christmas, sung by the Royal College of Music Chamber Choir, together with the Royal College of Music Brass Ensemble. I think I ordered it from the Metropolitan Museum store some years ago.

All the wonderful old carols sung as beautifully as anyone could wish - definitely my kind of Christmas music.

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Honored Contributor

I was so happy when Warner Brothers put out on CD finally the vinyl album-- Christmas with the King Family-- that was one of my favorite vinyl albums when I was growing up that my parents played during the Christmas holidays.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼