Frequent Contributor

Re: O/T Calling all past and present teachers!

Retired after 36 years: from 1976 - 2013 with a one-year break. I miss my kiddos and my colleagues. I do not miss the 24/7 focus that I had on my job, the enormous amount of paperwork and being told to do more with less due to neverending budget cuts. Am loving not having to get up at 5:30 a.m.!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

You guys are amazing!!! I work as a nurse in the school system and this is my 13th year. Nothing in comparison to what teachers do or go through!!
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the wonderful job you do! God bless you all!

Trusted Contributor

33 years for me! I loved teaching and I am glad I could retire while I still liked it.

This is my 5th year of retirement. Being retired has brought wonderful opportunities my way and life is very rewarding. My life feels smaller, but more manageable and meaningful now. I was very tired of being so busy.

Valued Contributor

14+

I've had horrendous health issues that impacted my working life.

Honored Contributor

I'll add 15 years teaching preschool + 13 years teaching middle school. There are a lot of similarities.

~ house cat ~
Contributor

This is my 28 year!
Respected Contributor

On 8/27/2014 Jazzgrl said: 36 yrs, retired in June 2013. Haven't missed it for a nano-second! Love, love, love retirement!

This is my 26th and LAST year! I will miss my colleagues but not the paperwork, tyrannical principal, numerous administrators over me, nor the rudeness and disrespect from students and stress that I've had to deal with on a daily basis. I guess I'm the odd one here but teaching for me has really changed. For me it is a second career. I was a nurse for 22 years and went back to school to be a teacher when DS's were little. I've gone from loving every minute of it to dreading everyday I have to go. I teach special ed. and find that nowadays "everything" is labeled special ed. Mostly it's behavior problems that have a lot to do with the home life. I see very little growth anymore and just students who are being "pushed through the system". I no longer get any satisfaction from it but rather think I'm doing the students and society a disservice by having "my hands tied" not allowing me to be able to really "teach" anymore. I'm happy for those of you that love it but I will not miss it!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Occasional Contributor

18 years and had to stop due to multiple medical reasons. I miss teaching and the students. I agree there was frustration with my job, but the joy I saw in a students' face when they grasped a concept or their self-esteem was boosted was very fulfilling. That is the reason I went into teaching. The rewards in special education were slow in coming, but very memorable. I know I helped multiple students through the years and for that I am grateful!

Contributor

I retired in June2012 after teaching for 40 years. Teaching middle school language arts was what I had always wanted to do. But, retirement allows me the freedom to choose how I spend my time and energy. No regrets.