Honored Contributor

Re: O/T Calling all past and present teachers!

Hat's off to all of the teachers here. I don't know how you do it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/30/2014 starpolisher said:

It surprises me how many here still love teaching. I work in a large district with 121 faculty members in my school alone. I bet you at least 80% of them are unhappy. I wonder if people say how much they love the kids because it is expected of them. I have met some of the rudest most disrespectful,cruel children I have ever met(and I went to this same school and was born and raised and still live in this town) Yes, I have met a few nice kids but as for the others once I stop teaching I hope I never see them again! It makes me want to move knowing what kind of people might eventually be my neighbors.

I certainly can't say I dislike kids, but I have never been in teaching because I've loved them. I'm still enamored with the whole teaching-learning process.

A country club chef once told me he loves serving delicious food because it makes others happy. That's how I feel. I love when the light bulb glimmers and then glows.

It is a sad commentary that contemporary society has not raised their children better -- to be more respectful of teachers and those in authority, and also to be hungry to learn.

I bet there is a huge sub list in your district!

Not applicable

38 years! I loved the students, but the amount of testing was getting ridiculous. Too political now. I retired 2 years ago and I miss the teachers and kids. It takes some getting used to-not being constantly busy!

Respected Contributor

On 8/31/2014 Harpa said:
On 8/30/2014 starpolisher said:

It surprises me how many here still love teaching. I work in a large district with 121 faculty members in my school alone. I bet you at least 80% of them are unhappy. I wonder if people say how much they love the kids because it is expected of them. I have met some of the rudest most disrespectful,cruel children I have ever met(and I went to this same school and was born and raised and still live in this town) Yes, I have met a few nice kids but as for the others once I stop teaching I hope I never see them again! It makes me want to move knowing what kind of people might eventually be my neighbors.

I certainly can't say I dislike kids, but I have never been in teaching because I've loved them. I'm still enamored with the whole teaching-learning process.

A country club chef once told me he loves serving delicious food because it makes others happy. That's how I feel. I love when the light bulb glimmers and then glows.

It is a sad commentary that contemporary society has not raised their children better -- to be more respectful of teachers and those in authority, and also to be hungry to learn.

I bet there is a huge sub list in your district!

Just the opposite! Once a sub comes to our school(middle) they rarely return. Between the treatment they receive from our principal(absolutely no people skills), having more classes than the teacher they've come to sub for(our principal doesn't let subs have prep-time therefore they can't strictly follow one teachers schedule-and end up with more classes than the teachers) and the rude, disrespectful students and lack of discipline, they never come back. We have about six returning subs. When teachers are absent(and the less appreciated and unhappy they are the more they call out) other teachers often have to cover during their preps or duty time(with pay of course) which cost the district more than it would to get a substitute. As far as the "light bulb" I use to love it also but now with In class support and the structure of special-ed. I very rarely see it "glow"! What I see is the "glimmer" being passed on for light! The future(at least where I am) does not look "BRIGHT"!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

23 yrs