Frequent Contributor

Re: O/T Calling all past and present teachers!

I taught for 32 years.... retired in 2006. Most of those years were in 5th grade. Have been subbing on a regular basis since then--Grades K-12. Each grade level is so unique.. I am enjoying it tremendously...I have the best of both worlds.... RETIRED and yet can return to a classroom and still enjoy Kids!!!! I believe being around kids is ""the fountain of youth"". I am enjoying reading everyones history in education!!!

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Some humor for my math teacher friend, Lovestoteach.

Respected Contributor

It surprises me how many here still love teaching. I work in a large district with 121 faculty members in my school alone. I bet you at least 80% of them are unhappy. I wonder if people say how much they love the kids because it is expected of them. I have met some of the rudest most disrespectful,cruel children I have ever met(and I went to this same school and was born and raised and still live in this town) Yes, I have met a few nice kids but as for the others once I stop teaching I hope I never see them again! It makes me want to move knowing what kind of people might eventually be my neighbors.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

On 8/30/2014 PalmTree11 said:
On 8/29/2014 starpolisher said:
On 8/27/2014 Jazzgrl said: 36 yrs, retired in June 2013. Haven't missed it for a nano-second! Love, love, love retirement!

This is my 26th and LAST year! I will miss my colleagues but not the paperwork, tyrannical principal, numerous administrators over me, nor the rudeness and disrespect from students and stress that I've had to deal with on a daily basis. I guess I'm the odd one here but teaching for me has really changed. For me it is a second career. I was a nurse for 22 years and went back to school to be a teacher when DS's were little. I've gone from loving every minute of it to dreading everyday I have to go. I teach special ed. and find that nowadays "everything" is labeled special ed. Mostly it's behavior problems that have a lot to do with the home life. I see very little growth anymore and just students who are being "pushed through the system". I no longer get any satisfaction from it but rather think I'm doing the students and society a disservice by having "my hands tied" not allowing me to be able to really "teach" anymore. I'm happy for those of you that love it but I will not miss it!

Going on my 8th year teaching special ed. I hear you completely. Many a day I wonder what my life would be like had I chosen a different career.

Palmtree, There are several young teachers where I work who feel as you do. Most of them are in school to become administrators or guidance counselors. They want out of the classroom. Good luck to you!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Contributor

25 years. I have never felt more rewarded at times.... I don't make a lot of money, but I feel often I feel like George in "It's a Wonderful Life"! I could not imagine doing any other occupation.

Super Contributor

I taught 32!! Enjoying my retirement.
Contributor

Really had to do the Math...31 and still enjoying it! Not getting any easier, but love the kids. They really do keep you young! (as long as you can grab a nap when you get home ! ; )

Trusted Contributor

26 full time, 6 part-time.

Super Contributor

34 years.