Esteemed Contributor

Re: O/T Calling all past and present teachers!

I've taught at all grade levels for about 25 years, give or take interruptions here & there. This is my 7th of teaching college. It's as though I've died and gone to Heaven. My students are all very respectful. "Yes, Professor; No, Professor." They want to be there. (for the most part)

Have a great school year, everyone!

Frequent Contributor

Thank you!!!

I loved all my teachers.

You'se guys teached me real good.

Super Contributor

30 years and now retired.
Super Contributor

Highlighted
Super Contributor

On 8/29/2014 starpolisher said:
On 8/27/2014 Jazzgrl said: 36 yrs, retired in June 2013. Haven't missed it for a nano-second! Love, love, love retirement!

This is my 26th and LAST year! I will miss my colleagues but not the paperwork, tyrannical principal, numerous administrators over me, nor the rudeness and disrespect from students and stress that I've had to deal with on a daily basis. I guess I'm the odd one here but teaching for me has really changed. For me it is a second career. I was a nurse for 22 years and went back to school to be a teacher when DS's were little. I've gone from loving every minute of it to dreading everyday I have to go. I teach special ed. and find that nowadays "everything" is labeled special ed. Mostly it's behavior problems that have a lot to do with the home life. I see very little growth anymore and just students who are being "pushed through the system". I no longer get any satisfaction from it but rather think I'm doing the students and society a disservice by having "my hands tied" not allowing me to be able to really "teach" anymore. I'm happy for those of you that love it but I will not miss it!

Going on my 8th year teaching special ed. I hear you completely. Many a day I wonder what my life would be like had I chosen a different career.
Super Contributor

This will be my 20th year and it is my second career ! Love it and will do it for 5-6 yrs Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

35 years full time

Retired in 2013 from full-time job because of health; now I am teaching part-time.

Trusted Contributor

I'm beginning year 39...still love it.
Super Contributor

38+full time day; 7 years part time nights. Loved every minute of it. How lucky I am to do what I loved for so long. Retired now. Yes, I had days when I thought I'd kill the first thing I came in contact with. But, I learned that those days were the days I learned the most about myself.

Respected Contributor

17 and still going. It was my second career.

Have to completely agree w/Jazzgrl about changes and kiddos. I will do the 'happy dance' in the parking lot the day I retire.